Place component by coordinates

Hi there all

Sorry if this question has been asked. but here goes. I am trying to place some familie components by specific coordinates in my model, but when I run my graph, it inserts the component somewhere else…? Can someone please help?

So first, here is my graph:

this is what I have in my Excel sheet (coordinates) comes from another aplication:
Koordinatbøvl 2

this is the room where it is supposed to be inserted:

This is where it dynamo actually inserts it…?

Any suggestions, and sorry if this is a question that has been answered before…

If this coordinates are world coordinates, you have to convert them to the local. Basically Coordinate plus project base point. Do that for X,Y and Z.

Hi Deniz

Yes, these are world coordinates, but so should the model be?
so how do I convert them, as you suggest?

The first node is from Genius Loci package. Then you should point from excel plus base point.

hi again Deniz

I tried what you said:

But I get the error, that my number is to lage for the project?

Hi, I am really sorry… in my example I had to sum the coordinates but in your case please do like that:

World coordinates minus project base point.

What are your units? Even in MM that is 2.2x the length of the Panama Canal…

Hi guys, I am also struggling with a similar issue but my problem is with the angle of rotation. I tried to place the families with true north unfortunately my script is not working. Look at the script attached

Hi there Jacob

Which one of the coordinates are you asking for? the “Active project location” or the data imported from Excel?

My units are MM. My project uses the “origin to origin” method, does that have an impact on the long coordinates?

193,000,000 mm is about 120 miles. Do you really have objects which are 120 miles from the hard coded origin of the file? Anything over 22 miles from the hard coded internal origin (the 0,0,0 point) is an issue for Revit’s geometry engine.

Sorry, Im not that good at the coordinates in revit. But no, my project base point is not that far from my model, as you can see here:

The other arrow, is where the object should be inserted.

Project base point is not the internal origin.

Use a family instance by point node to place a desk at the point 0,0,0, and see where that is in 3D space.

or turn it on in visibility graphics (need Revit 2020.2)

Hi again Jacob

I tried inserting an object at 0,0,0 as you said, and it turns out, that my origin and my project base point are at det same place the red arrow:

The blue arrow, was me checking if the coordinates from the Excel file was correct, which they were (done in a seperat file).

if you put an unconnected node into you graph

• Revit/Elements/Coordinates/coordinates base point -
    this will report the origin of the internal coordsystem relative to the project base point
    the internal coordsystem is oriented in the same x,y as the project base point
    it is the internal coords which are used to locate objects.
    all you need to be able to do then is translate from your world co-ords to the internal co-ords
    (I think)

Hi there Deniz

I have tried working with your suggestion, on converting my real world coordinates to Revit local/ relative ones.

When I minus the two coordnates from each other, I get the same measured distance as where the component should be.
But it still does not insert the object here? Does the “insert by point” node, include project rotation?

I don’t think so, can you after that use FamilyInstance.SetRotation and as an angle “0”?

where do you get the coordinates from? from autocad file? from which software. The best bet is to use revit’s built in transform class instead of translating your own, that is if you know the the difference in those two coordinate

and what kind of component is that? Could you check its null point?

Hi “Stillgotme”

The coordinates comes from our building inspection program, which gets the coordinates from its placement in the Revit files. How do you suggest that I translate these coordinates to revits placement system?

@Deniz_Maral - the components null point, is at det dead center of the object.