Place family at project coordinates

Hi,

Apologies, I’ve seen that this has been asked before but I cant get mine working.

I got a bunch of X,Y,Z coordinates that are in relation to project base point. I want to place families at this point, however, I need to covert those X,Y,Z project coordinates in coordinates that Dynamo can place.

I attempted using the method linked below, however that adds the shared coordinates to the family’s location. I need to do the opposite.

I tried to achieve this by putting the point to 0,0,0 and then subtracting the vector to the family cords. This is my mind should cancel out the project base points. However, when I place the family they are still off.

Any ideas?

I don’t know- it is difficult for an outsider to look at your graph & say exactly where it is going wrong.

But I would suggest breaking the problem down into a series of logical steps, and creating a simple test file with easy coordinates & just one test point so that you can see what is going on.
Once you’ve got the logic right, it should work for the bigger coordinates & multiple points

Coordinate systems and transforms can be confusing- I’ve used this technique to visualise the process

hope it helps

2 Likes

Hey,

I had a play with the graph here…
https://forum.dynamobim.com/u/Keith_Wilkinson1 using a simplified graph, as Andrew suggested.

FamilyInstance-Model Origin Survey Coordinates.rvt (2.6 MB)

Does this do what you’re after?FamilyInstance-Model Origin Survey Coordinates.dyn (42.6 KB)

1 Like

Thanks for the responses,I’ll trying and give both options and go and if I find a solution add it here.

Cheers