Dynamo Core 2.13 - Release (Parts 1, 2 and 3)

Been trying out the new Dynamo Player; there are several things I really like! Graph Icons, desciptions, links and authors are pretty cool. Input descriptions from pinned note boxes make way more sense to other users too. Before I would put all the input descriptions in a big string node and set it as the first input. Now all those can finally go to more logical place where they belong. The alphabetical sorting of inputs is a little different, but I’m getting used to numbering things now. I also like how the run button is at the bottom. Now people will actually read the inputs before pressing play!

There’s only one more thing I think I really want. Are there any plans to make a custom dropdown node that works as an input in the player?

This would be incredibly useful for most users and has been requested for quite a while. If this is not yet in development, I have some ideas for it that I think could work.

The first preference would be a node that can read a selected text file as a dropdown list. The top of the node would select the file (like the file path node) and underneath, it would have the selector. It would be similar to look of the Select by Category node. This would be great becuase it would also be possible to use a single run of the graph to edit the contents of the text file if you wanted to.

The next preference (if the first didn’t work) would be to adjust the File Path node. Once the right path is selected, the input would have a dropdown selector for the files in the folder. This would lead people to populate folders with empty text files, but at least it would be an option.

Either of these ideas seems like it could work because dynamo would not have to process any information inside the graph in order to produce the input.

3 Likes