Dynamo Core 2.14 Release

Kia ora #dynamopeople!

Today we release Dynamo 2.14; a return back to the standard release size and cadence from the previous two monster releases of 2.12 and 2.13.

We are releasing Zoom States, Group Styles and b among a slew of other smaller features and improvements, as well as an epic focus on bugs, closing out 88 in this release alone. Focused on cleaning up residual Visual Refresh tasks, as well as honing the rougher edges of Dynamo, this release should be smooth, clean and clear across the board.

Come explore the blog, see whatā€™s just made it out into the wild and give us your feedback!

Blog TL:DR

• Zoom States that surface node states graphically when zoomed out past a certain threshold.
  • Extended Node Help that gives in-depth descriptions and example image for (almost) every out-of-the-box Dynamo Core node.
  • New String.GetNumber node (Shoutout to @chuongmep for this one :star_struck: ), as well as many other nodal improvements, such as List@Level and Lacing support for variable input nodes.
  • Group Styles so that you can choose any color you wish, and apply these styles to groups, with more features set to come in a future release.
  • Modernizing residual missing Visual Refresh dialog boxes, tooltips et. al.
  • @john_piersonā€™s first PR to Dynamo enabling Nodes and Notes to be taken out of a group with a hotkey :keyboard:
  • Giant focus on bug-fixing, fixing a whopping 88 in this release alone.

Come read all about it here: Dynamo Core 2.14 Release - Dynamo BIM, and give us your thoughts in the thread below :thinking: :raised_back_of_hand: :grey_question: :nerd_face:

20 Likes

Very nice! Canā€™t wait to test out the new Zoom States & having an internal Dynamo dictionary :smiley:
Also the hotkey to add/ remove nodes in groups will sure come in handy!

PS: Am I the only one having this bug?
slkkVKgnri

1 Like

@Daan Glad you like what weā€™ve put into Dynamo 2.14! :raised_hands:

As far as the bug goes, I do not experience the same problem nor did we run into this during our internal bug bashes.

@Michael_Kirschner2 any thoughts on what may be causing this for Daan?

@Daan @solamour context menu bugs and improvement suggestions [2.13.1] Ā· Issue #12660 Ā· DynamoDS/Dynamo Ā· GitHub :laughing:
btw: the node context menu is fixed (but still opens only to the left), but the canvas context menu has still issues
and why does Solā€™s context menu open to the right and mine not? :thinking:

this is all WPF ā€œmagicā€ - I think a lot of it boils down to Dynamo not consistently supporting high dpi in various ways - for example falling back to per pixel calculation instead of WPF pixel-like units.

I would try messing with display scaling% to see if it changes the behavior, and when filing bug reports on these be very specific with those numbers, resolution, display scaling when it occurs and does not, and GPU. (also number of monitors etc)

3 Likes

Maybe it is caused by monitors with different resolutions/scaling as Michael assumes. For example I have 3 monitors, two of them with 2560 x 1440 (125% Scaling) and one of them 1920 x 1080 (100% Scaling) (I have not tested yet with just 2 monitors), will do the next days

1 Like

@Daan Iā€™ve noticed that too, and itā€™s been around for awhile from what Iā€™ve experienced (not isolated to 2.14). You just have to be really quick when switching over to the little fly out!

It really seems like it would be solved by lengthening the duration that the fly out stays open before collapsing. No idea if thatā€™s how simple it is though :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

The new version is very good. But I cannot find some previous nodes, such as Flatten. I only find List. Flatten. :cold_sweat: I would be well grateful If you could reply. Thanks!

In what version do you have the ā€œFlattenā€ node? I only know List.Flatten

Hi @213181479, Flatten and List.Flatten return the same result, so please change to using List.Flatten :raised_hands:

Flatten is a legacy node that, while still working inside a graph that uses it, or copyable in this scenario, is no longer placable from the Library as a new node.

Iā€™ve only been using Dynamo for a couple of months so I havenā€™t experienced all of the updates before. When can we expect this to be incorporated into Dynamo for Revit? Would it be the first R23 update? I just got access to 2.13 and now I see 2.14 already!

2 Likes

Hello @mhiser and welcome to the world of Dynamo! :raised_hands:

In brief, Dynamo is expressed in many different applications (Which we call Host integrations), and each of those hosts have their own release cycles; our officially supported hosts are Revit, Civil 3d, FormIt, Advance Steel, Alias and Robot Structural Analysis.

Given the above, we on the Dynamo Core team (Core experience that is shared between all of the hosts above) release on our own release cycle ahead of all of our hosts. This is why you see Dynamo 2.14 out already! :smiley: You can play with it in Dynamo Sandbox right now, but will have to wait until the next point release of your favourite host application (Such as Revit 2023.1).

As a side note, in Revit we are targeting Dynamo 2.15 for Revit 2023.1ā€¦ so youā€™ll get even more cool things to play with :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Thanks @solamour!

I sure wish the Revit team cranked updates and new features out as fast as you folks doā€¦

1 Like

@mhiser Ah alas, the bigger the software, the more a change can affect many other things and thus the more testing needed and robust go/no-go decisions. Going slower isnā€™t fun for the speed of feature releases, but is really important for stability! :pray:

Dynamo is smaller, and leaner, so we can iterate faster :slight_smile: Revit is older, more feature dense and thus needs to take itā€™s time to ensure things donā€™t break.

Hola Amigos bonjour.
I donā€™t know if this is the right way or the right department for this request but there is something I would like to ask if possible to review: I use FancyZones (sub application of Power Toys) to split my screen(s) and it has very handy keyboard shortcuts to focus on one program at a time or both at the same time, but when I try to use Dynamo which comes nested in C3D or Revit, this version of Dynamo does not hook to the FancyZones zone, I guess it is because Windows recognizes it as a sub application and not as an independent application, although I am not sure, but it would be great to be able to hook it to a zone, here is a video to give you an idea of what Iā€™m talking about, Thanks any way boys!!

1 Like

Hi @gilberto.arechigaiba,

The Dynamo github ā€˜issuesā€™ live here:

You could raise your request as an ā€˜improvementā€™? (Probably more relevant than the Dynamo for Revit repository).

I hope that is useful,

Thanks,

Mark

2 Likes

Thanks for reporting, this is fixed in Dynamo 2.15.0 by reducing the gap between main context menu and sub menu

3 Likes