Dynamo Core 2.16 Release

Hello Dynamites!

We are excited today to release Dynamo Core 2.16 out into the wild! :deciduous_tree: :lion: :monkey_face: :elephant: A huge shout-out to @helena.wahlstrom for writing this one to bring you all the good things it contains :raised_hands:

Dynamo 2.16 brings powerful improvements to polycurves, helps you stay up to date with the latest Dynamo news with the Notification Center, and introduces a new Custom Selection node. It enables you to work faster and more seamlessly with groups, wires, and Watch nodes, and adds polish and improvements to the Graph Node Manager. We’ve added detailed error reporting and a safer Package Manager experience. As always, we’ve also taken performance up a notch, with boosts to workspace references, Package Manager, and Graph Node Manager + custom nodes.

As always, there is a lot more too, so come get your hands on it , give it a spin, read the blog post and let us know what you think! :raised_hands:

Dynamo Core 2.16 Blog post: Dynamo Core 2.16 Release - Dynamo BIM

Previous few release blog posts:

16 Likes

Killin’ it! Go team :muscle:

4 Likes

You had me at oriented bounding boxes.

It would we be cool to see a bounding box aligned to plane as well, so the user can choose the orientation manually if they need vs rely on Dynamo’s understanding of that rotation.

8 Likes

Thats a good shout - let me talk to the team :grin:

3 Likes

If they need a reference of how this could look, the bounding box node from Grasshopper is a good example. It has geometry/plane inputs (with plane giving implied rotation in XYZ aspects), then the output is the BB. There is also an option for ‘Union box’ which is a valuable idea also - effectively the bounding box of multiple objects, or the total bounding box of their bounding boxes.

I believe I discussed BB by coordinate system at one point, which I believe would be oh so slightly faster than planes due to the rendering complexity (planes have transparency, coordinate systems do not) and class inheritance. Would that work just as well?

3 Likes

Yep that works too given it has an axis and origin.

Actually now that I think about it… bounding boxes already have a coordinate system property, as I described here: Get Walls inside BoundingBox (Python) - #11 by jacob.small

So it’s likely we’ll have a constructor natively (I can’t test/confirm yet), and if not we can use an already existing hidden method (which previously didn’t work unless you used the identity coordinate system) to generate content for a bit.

3 Likes

Let me know how you go :smiley: Then we can take it from there.

Oriented bounding boxes?!?!

Somebody pinch me…

2 Likes

2 options should adjust urgently to Dynamo
1- The ability to be back to old base grey interface for node. Add the option of themes
2- Coding in python node, the ability to zoom on text by mouse wheel similar to all IDE editors.

I expect we wont see 1 and 2 is a big change from what I’ve read in the past. You can add requests on the dynamo github though if you want.

We have in our roadmap already tasks around adding in Color Theming to Dynamo :slight_smile: It won’t be in the next release, but it’s planned for early next year at this stage (Legal safe-harbour caveat of times may change and priorities may shift).

The Python Editor isn’t a true IDE and uses the AvalonEdit component which unfortunately has very limited ability for us to make changes to it as @GavinCrump mentioned. As such, for #2 in your list @OS-den this would require us switching out the entire component for something else and that is a larger scoped effort.

1 Like

Already added those requests in GitHub long time ago and no action is taken

Personally I find the new black theme with the recent dynamo releases is very ugly comparing to the modest classical grey one.

As about the zooming text, I understand that you are using (AvalonEdit) which having a limited options. Alreay it’s requested this option at their github longtime ago:

There are many other free libraries that you can use a embedded IDE and text editor into dynamo instead, or at least make the option when double clicking the python node could be able to open into other external editors like VS code or others similar.

There are some open-source project that working around that like (ironpython-stubs) but still not fully updated to the developing APIs autocompletion and integrated to Dynamo.

Hopefully with the upcoming release there’ll be some ameliorations and taking into consideration those 2 requests.

Relatively and similarly project Grasshopper is so much advanced in such thing comparing to Dynamo.

3 Likes

Replied in the other thread you created regarding the Python Text Font size (Zoom) :slight_smile:

Regarding the color scheme, we have plans longer term to open that up to customization, but that will not be hitting in our next release.

1 Like

Hello,
In version 2.16.1, you need to specify the full type name for Surface?
with the List.remove.if.not node

cordially
christian.stan

1 Like

Hi Christian, its that for all objecttypes ?
EDIT…arhh i see in your image it work for line…think its the same for 2.13 as well

Hi Mr Sovitek
I saw your edit I did not try for other objects (this was possible under 2.3)
I use a workaround with list.difference.

cordially
christian.stan