Door Fire Rating

I believe you can Copy-Paste the warning (by selecting the text in the warning box).
I believe there is also a Node to show the warning.

1 Like

Copy pasting works aswell indeed :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is how this idea would work if Fire Rating is used as a Type Parameter in both the Walls and the Doors. But that is a deeply flawed concept, since 2 instances of the same Type of Door could be in 2 different Wall Types with different Ratings.

Make sure your Revit terminology is on point, understand the instance/type relationship and which of the 2 you select how in Dynamo.
If you want the Fire Rating of the Wall Type pushed into the Fire Rating Instance Parameter of the Door just eliminate the Element.ElementType at the bottom of the example and make sure you set the right parameter Name on the Set Parameter Node.

2 Likes

That is what i said also and why i really didn’t post a solution (plus i didn’t have Dynamo available).

This is what i suggested too.

Wouldn’t the door rating draw on wha the host rating is so therefore no matter what instance of the door you place, it will always draw the fire rating from the host element (wall).

Perhaps it’s my inexperience with dynamo, but I didn’t want to make any instance parameters because then that would require me to manually input the fire ratings for the doors- no? If I am mistaken, then please tell me how The door could Automatically draw upon the fire rating of the wall without having to manually input it for the door provided that I have already set up all the fire rating as with it the walls.

I don’t wanna sound rude, but now i have my doubts about your Revit knowlage in the first place.

As Bjorn said.

To answer your question.

No, because you pull them from your Walls.

As both me and Bjorn suggested pull the data from your Walls (Type Parameters) and push it to your Doors (Instant Parameter [with a different name]).

PS
I have my thoughts about this workflow anyways, but that is another discussion.

Set the Door FR parameter to Instance, let the Wall be the Type. Then the script (with the alterations mentioned) will do the work for you, providing you have set the FR in all the WallTypes.

Not a great workflow, because the FR of the Door could be unattainable by the chosen door.

Thanks. I’ve already created all sorts of custom tags etc, so I am pretty familiar with the types of parameters within Revit. I am just getting confused with how dynamo is pulling information from the various elements and making them work together and since what I’ve tried wasn’t working, and am under a deadline, I’m probably doing things in a rush without thinking them through. Thanks for your guidance.

Will try! Could you elaborate on the last part? If I have set the fire ratings with it all the walls, why would the door not be able to attain the wall’s FR? Ultimately, I won’t want the wall’s FR; I would want to reduce the door’s FR to 0.75 of the wall.

Because the door is a product with materials and treatments that decide the actual FR of the Door? Not the fact that it is hosted in a more Fire Resistant wall.

If it’s a piece of design data als a spec/goal rename the parameter to reflect that.

Lets say you have Walls Type W1 (FR0), W2 (FR30) and W3 (FR60) and they all host a Door Type D1.
What Value should be pushed to Door D1. 0, 30 or 60? You can only push one Value because you made it a Type Parameter (which defines Door D1).
I can’t be more clear explaining the problem you created by (only) making it a Type Parameter.

1 Like

That makes a lot of sense. So if I made it an instance parameter that was drawing from the host type parameter, then I should be fine- correct?

Short answer

Yes.

Longer answer.

Yes, but you created other problems tho.
Because normally a FR defines a Door.
So Door D1 with FR 30 shouldn’t also excist as Door D1 with FR 60 (if you want to properly BIM).

So how would you do it?

Personally i really wouldn’t automate this because the amounts of Doors i can have in my projects
(wooden frame, aluminium frame, FR0, FR30, panel with glas, panel without glas, color etc.).

But if in case you have only like 3 Door Types (FR0, FR30, FR60) and the Doors are already placed
use Dynamo to check if the right Door is in the Wall and if not replace it by the correct Door Type.

What we did is much more complex, but we have automated this process to check the wall rating and also the partition type per IBC requirements. like if it’s a Fire Wall or Smoke Barrier. Thus we are able to calculate what the rating should be and push it based on the tables. We also alert the users when a rated wall or door needs to be manually determined. Like the door rating in a 1HR wall may be 20, 45 or 60 depending on use, occupancy or construction type. There are certainly a lot of variables in this and I partially agree with @bvs1982 that it most likely can’t be completely automated, or at least not easily.

1 Like

Nice @SeanP. Of course there are options but i think that is beyond OP’s Dynamo level at the moment :wink:. Partially prolly even my level :roll_eyes:.

1 Like

I believe you are correct (about OP), but my point was more in line with your comments that the problem is actually much more complex then I think they realize and a simple Dynamo graph isn’t going to be a one stop solution.

Sean-

How many hours did you have to develop this workflow tool? My firm has limited resources at the moment and are trying to do the best we can with finding “quick fixes”. Yes, I understand the way it needs to properly be done, and what you have developed is an awesome tool. I think it boils down to what is included in the goals of the BIM execution plan.

1 Like

The original / beta graph probably took me 4-6 hours to develop and did about 70% of what I noted. After that as the proof of concept I translated it into our custom Revit add-in where the additional features like the warnings and such were included. I think using Data-Shapes you could get very close in Dynamo, but I’d expect that to be 10-15 hours for a pretty fluent Dynamo user with solid Revit knowledge related to Type and Instance properties and how they are associated.