CAD Graphic Overrides in Revit

Hello and thanks for all your generous work. Understanding that graphic overrides per view are view dependent, I guess it is not possible to transfer graphic overrides from an element in a view to another element on a different view, would that be a correct assumption?

I have a CAD background for Equipment from our consultant and I applied Graphic Overrides to it. I have the same CAD on a different view and would like to replicate such overrides consistently.

Your node includes a View input that the OOTB node doesn’t, I was wondering if that would make it possible, I tried but it would not work if the view is not the same as the one from which I extract graphic overrides.

Thank you

It’s probably best at this point to start a new thread since the original is more than 5 years old. You can always reference this one with a link if you think it’s necessary.

Hi, thank you. I will do that, of course.

Hi,

If I understand correctly, you want to change the graphics of the CAD imports layers in multiple views. You can choose to replace graphics in Object Styles for all project or view by view with the Genius Loci package and the SetCategoryOverrides node.

1 Like

I would not recommend pursuing this.

When you get the inevitable updated CAD file, all the overrides are going to be toasted. Filters or other means of graphics control would be best.

Thank you. My workflow starts with the assumption that an existing CAD import had its graphics overridden. Later on the consultant would submit updated CAD and a user would be interested in applying the same graphic overrides to the newly imported CAD.
I know this is not the best workflow, but it’s a given. In any case I managed to do what I needed, across different views, by following what you described here:

Thank you!

I 100% agree with you, I do not recommend this method as a standard, unfortunately I do not control the workflow, it is a given, I am grateful to see that Dynamo can help a bit of the pain, but yes, it’s still not the best practice!

Best regards