BIM Coordinator

Job Purpose: A world renowned and technologically innovative architecture firm is seeking a BIM Coordinator to support our efforts of BIM implementation and tool creation. The ideal candidate will have a demonstrated enthusiasm for design technology as well as scripting using Revit API and associated tools. BIM Coordinator job Duties:

• Assist the BIM Implementation Manager with BIM related tasks and contracts.
  • Design, scripting, and utilization of BIM related tools.
  • Creation of parametric Revit families.
  • Creation of Revit templates based on design teams needs.
  • Working with project teams to develop and implement project-specific BIM workflows related to VDC and data management.
Skills/Qualification:
  • Revit, Revit API, Dynamo, Python, Visual Studio (C#), JavaScript, Navisworks, Rhino, Adobe Suite.
Education:
  • Completion of five or six-year BIM or architecture related degree program or graduate of four-year program.
  • 2-4 years of related experience preferred.
Please send resume and work sample to jobs@shoparc.com
1 Like

I’m feeling so terribly underskilled right now :slight_smile:

1 Like

Your feeling underskilled Vikram?.. This job ad. depresses me xD haha

1 Like

They have some cool stuff on their site: http://www.shoparc.com/projects/

No doubt, ShoP does awesome work!

2 Likes

Vikhram is the match, most probably

AND.or[but.damnIT]

when I see a job post like that I think, well, yeah, great company, let’s see if I am a fit. I am an architect, they do architecture. I revit a lot. tweak and find ways and means to a purpose, then;

Revit, Revit API, Dynamo, Python, Visual Studio (C#), JavaScript, Navisworks, Rhino, Adobe Suite

revit…match… ok, it takes what, 200 or 300 millions worth of arch projects to be able to say I use revit like a pro and it does not mean that you manage content creation, or standards management

revit API… no match…not a programmer

Dynamo… well, average as I know how to assemble but not how to code.

Visual Studio (C#)…you mean the software or the language C#,

Javascript… you mean knowing C#, theAPI, and javascripting… that is basically a master in computer sciences? (I am 36, I graduated from architecture in 2005, got my ten years of relevant experience, but no coding/programming degree_I should have kept on studying, getting a bigger loan that I would not be able to pay before my actual age due to the probable under 100K pay!)

Naviswork… loads of coordination tasks in the past years

Rhino (you mean Grasshopper I am sure)… not a match, but I am pretty good @ 3ds+vray

Adobe Suite… like what. bad ass @ photoshop yep… indesign user, yep// after effects/ yep

but but but (like my friend Regina used to say)

when am I gonna do architecture. Coding all over the place, software mastering list of a Nasa engineer.

Could you please, keep on posting jobs, but but but, be a bit realistic Time/skills/tasks wise

if needed I speak french, english, spanish, czech, some german but never used Rhino ;p

1 Like

Jean,

I will have to disappoint/motivate you…I know a handful of people that would fit the criteria. :slight_smile:

Basically, they want to hire someone who has been on the Designalyze podcast…

The only part of that that puzzles me is the 2-4 years of experience part…it would be tough to gather enough experience to fit what is being asked for in less than 4 years. I agree that there are people that fit the bill out there, but not many that check all the boxes…

I think the experience requirement is relative to Design Computation aspect. You could learn quite a bit of that in 2-4 years, if you had all other things covered beforehand (Revit, Rhino, Adobe, etc).

Everything is possible my friends. I like that they posted it here, because it really shows people around here that they are not exactly wasting their time learning all of these tools, that there are real jobs out there that REQUIRE these skills. :slight_smile:

1 Like
Everything is possible my friends. I like that they posted it here, because it really shows people around here that they are not exactly wasting their time learning all of these tools, that there are real jobs out there that REQUIRE these skills.

:-)

Completely agree, very awesome! :slight_smile:

There will always be people who fit in the profile, but this job is like a slap in your face…

• Assist the BIM Implementation Manager with BIM related tasks and contracts. (YES)
  • Design, scripting, and utilization of BIM related tools. (WHAT?)
  • Creation of parametric Revit families.(YES)
  • Creation of Revit templates based on design teams needs.(YES)
  • Working with project teams to develop and implement project-specific BIM workflows related to VDC and data management.(YES)

<strong style="font-weight: 600;">Skills/Qualification:

• Revit, Revit API, Dynamo, Python, Visual Studio (C#), JavaScript, Navisworks, Rhino, Adobe Suite.(WHAT DO YOU MEAN?)

<strong style="font-weight: 600;">Education:

• Completion of five or six-year BIM or architecture related degree program or graduate of four-year program.(YES)
  • 2-4 years of related experience preferred.(YES)

this discussion is very helpful. I have recently seen some others similar positions. Comments were more sarcastic than here.

Somebody says that they put those kind of adds so they can halves the real compensation to candidates who does not check all the boxes, I do not think is true.

Interesting enough they do not put a number for the income. So let`s add more mundane meaning to the post. I am agree with the masters above, the real candidates exists. Mr.Rooney was honest. They did not ask for mandarin proficiency of freehand drawing penchant skills as others big firms did.

If you were the “real” candidate, and suppose you want to work for the company instead of running your own office as you are probably already doing, what the package would you ask for? Supposing the job is in the U.S., would you really work in that position for less than yearly 90.000$ plus high health insurance…?

please if this is too off-topic, I am ok to cut it right away, but it is relevant to everybody, ispecially in these time I am wandering the direction to take while I ma renovating my contract. Going deep on coding or going toward, a new software for me, like rhino…?

A few comments…

• Architecture/Design and Code aren’t mutually exclusive (not to me, at least)

• The required skill set will not seem outrageous in the near future (already isn’t, to many)

• Pursue the idea. The idea will lead you to the appropriate tool/s. Then master the tool/s

• The same tool can be used for multiple purposes in multiple ways. Innovate. Find your way.

This certainly isn’t career advice (been a while since I’ve had a boss or made much money)

Hope to see more such job opportunities posted here. Non technical discussions are good :slight_smile:

they are probably reaching retirement age :smiley:

Surprisingly its quite the contrary. I know a handful of people that are relatively young that would fit the criteria for what they are looking for in here.

That’s the typical misconception of applying for jobs. It’s not required to check off all of these boxes because if you know all these things then what’s the point of applying? You would not apply for a job that is no different than what you are doing now, there would be no challenge. On the other side, they are not actually expecting you to check all these boxes. They are hoping that you do for some of them that are critical and that for the rest you present enough related knowledge and ability to learn that you will eventually check them all. There is always some leeway associated with these positions. Take for example requirement to know Visual Studio and C#. What if you know VBA? It’s all right for most interviewers. Languages are not that different, you demonstrated that you can learn one language already, so they should be all right believing that you will learn another. Same can be said of API (Revit API vs Rhino Common). If you learned how to navigate one API, then you can pretty quickly learn how to deal with another. That list goes on and on.

This post is pretty old. I bet this job is no longer available. I will close it.

4 Likes