Upgrading graphs to Revit 2022

I am going through a large set of graphs that I wrote for a client for Revit 2018, which now need to work with Revit 2022. Challenges I have seen so far are are nodes unresolved that I need to replace:

And nodes not found that I need to replace:

I also got a recommendation to replace If nodes with the new ones.

Advice welcome from others who have had to do this.

• Open the graph in 2018.
  • Use monocle to annotate the custom nodes with the package.
  • Copy packages in use to the clipboard, and paste into a note.
  • Save and close.
  • Open the graph in 2022.
  • Ensure you have the packages from the note installed.
  • Check for other errors and replace any deprecated nodes as needed.

I deleted archi-lab.net from my 2022 Packages folder but am getting an error on re-install. Do I have to delete other folders, also?

Tried copying from https://dynamopackages.com/ Zip file – didn’t work.
Deleted all installed Packages and still didn’t install. (All with Revit restart.)
Also, not finding ‘Dynamo Built-In Packages’ folder.
:cry:

Looks like a permissions issue to your package save location as it says ‘access denied’.

Can you install other packages? Is this an archilab issue or one for any package?

If you have used dynamo to uninstall the package you have to close Dynamo and the host application(revit) for it to complete the uninstall. Once that has been completed you can install a new version.

Looks like you have somehow edited your packages folder list to exclude the standard package directory, and as such the package manager is trying to save where the built in packages are stored, which is read only.

Check your paths to make sure you have at least two directories. Also please let us know what Revit build you are on.

I put my Packages folder at the top but there are 3 other folders in that settings dialog that cannot be removed from the list, including ‘Dynamo Built-In Packages’. I searched my C-drive, but could not find that folder. Maybe that’s excluding it, @jacob.small .

After struggling with it, I am trying a clean install of Revit 2022 then running Revit 2022.1.1 Hotfix

Then the plan is to add back all the latest and greatest Packages as you’ve suggested. Some nodes I have had to update, though. The ones where, for example, an input is called list and I’ve changed it to _list to keep Dynamo happy.

Maybe I’ll write something that reads a folder of DYNs and tells me all the Packages referenced from “ConcreteType”: the way Monocle does it for the current graph. Has anyone done that, yet?

@Michael_Kirschner2 any thoughts on how to assist? It appears packages are defaulting in @truevis 's case to the Built-In location, and re-pathing didn’t help.

@truevis try putting your package path at the top of the list by using the small arrows to the left of the custom node and package paths dialog.
It sounds like you tried to delete the other builtin paths which ended up re-adding them to the start of the list.
A video/gif of what you are doing/seeing in the package path dialog will help.

1 Like

After uninstalling Revit 2022 and cleaning Registry, a new install plus Revit 2022.1.1 Hotfix, I could install Archilab.

It must have fixed the bad path.
It installed in C:\Users\...\AppData\Roaming\Dynamo\Dynamo Revit\2.12\packages\archi-lab.net

1 Like

Even though archi-lab.net is now installed, it is not visible in the Library and its Clear List node is red. It is the most popular Package, according to https://dynamopackages.com/.
So frustrating.

Advice?

@truevis - A couple of follow-up questions.

1. Can you try opening your console and letting us know if there is a message about Archi-lab in there? You can do so by going: ViewShow Console

2. Can you show us the details of the Notification window? (LIttle green circle with numbers in it, next to the Extensions menu. It should have something about Archi-lab in there.

Also, as an alternative node, have you tried List.Clean?

1 - yes:

Welcome to Dynamo!
00:00:00.4880965 elapsed for loading Dynamo main window.
Preparing to load the library resources.
WPF Render Mode: SoftwareOnly
notification:System.IO.FileLoadException:
 Dynamo has detected a conflict with a dependency and may be unstable. If any issues are detected, please uninstall addins or packages and contact the provider.: 
 While loading assembly Autodesk.Forge, Version=1.6.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null, Dynamo detected that the dependency RestSharp, Version=106.3.1.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=598062e77f915f75 was already loaded with an incompatible version. It is likely that another Revit Addin has loaded this assembly, please try uninstalling other Addins, and starting Dynamo again. Dynamo may be unstable in this state.
It is likely one of the following assemblies loaded the incompatible version:
GregRevitAuth, Greg, DynamoPackages, archilab2021, archilabUI2021
Clearing workspace...

2 - same:

3 - List.Clean is a fine alternative. But I do not see any other of the Archi-lab nodes in the Library.

archilab2021 & archilabUI2021 DLLs don’t seem to be blocked.

1 Like

I learned from Revit 2022 - Dynamo 2.10 - Package not showing up and icons missing - #11 by Konrad_K_Sobon that one has to use a version number ending in “22”. So “2022.212.2922” worked!

2 Likes

I think you can mark this as the solution to this thread for others to find.

2 Likes

This started as a general thread on the challenges of upgrading Dynamo graphs to Revit 2022. How to get archi-lab working is just one of the challenges we have found the solution to.

Hi @truevis - Beyond the Archi-lab install issue, what other challenges are you experiencing?

I have about 40 big graphs to upgrade. One issue is not being able to set section boxes of 3D Views, anymore. See Problem Setting Crop boxes and Section Boxes in Revit 2022 - #28 by truevis . That will take a bunch of refactoring to implement the workaround I found.

Older packages like Lunchbox may not work or install well. I tried to install the latest Lunchbox from 2018. but it does not show up in the Library. (A 2016 version shows up in the Library.)

Switching out depreciated nodes…

It is quite a big task to upgrade but I will get it done.

1 Like

One trick is to copy and paste a whole graph into a new one. It seems to solve the problem of old-version nodes being kept and shown by yellow "!"s in the Workspace References Extension.

Before:

After:

1 Like

Thanks for the rundown of challenges @truevis! A few thoughts that may help :nerd_face:

1. I hear you on the Section Box issue - unsure what this may be resulting from (Guess to ForgeUnits API) but we’re going to take a look our side with @john_pierson and see if there is anything we can do.

2. Lunchbox hasn’t been updated for a long time by it’s author. Usually package conflicts like this occur with mis-matched dependencies. Do you see a particular error with the Lunchbox nodes from either the Console, Log or Notifications bar? Suggestion, given that it’s no longer updated, is to move away from this package if you can. Most of the functionality is present in many other epic packages (Check out Genius-Loci, Synthesize Toolkit, Ampersand etc.)

3. You can still keep the Old If Node if you wish, but I do understand seeing Warnings isn’t ideal in this. If you want to quickly navigate around the graph and replace these you can try the Warnamo extension from @keanw. We’re also looking to get something similar in product for real :slight_smile:

1 Like