Teaching Dynamo

Hi All, I have to teach my colleagues Dynamo. I’ve been using it a while.

I have an introduction PPT based on the Dynamo Primer but I need some workflows to create together with my students.

I rarely use Dynamo at work and am struggling to think of common workflows?

Can anyone suggest some good workflows to make or good buildings to copy?

Thanks in advance

1 Like

At what level are your colleagues in both Revit and Dynamo, and what is the intended use of Dynamo in your organization? :slight_smile:

They are all good at Revit. They know a little bit of Dynamo that I have already shown them such as the Ui basics.

We are wanting to make more use of Dynamo to automate workflows.

We work a lot with existing buildings. So mainly just after some ideas for potential uses.

i would suggest get and set parameters
then add excel in this proces
a lot of questions on the forum are about excel linking and you get the chance to teach some basic database stuff

2 Likes

I see, good thing to know that the scope would be Revit related Dynamo and not (Alias, Grasshopper, Solibri, Naviswork, Robot, Geometric etc) related uses :slight_smile:

I don’t know if I’m allowed to share the content, but we have had some Dynamo related projects at DTU (Technical University of Denmark) exactly for teaching Dynamo for Revit in the “startup phases”.

I’ll let @erfajo distribute if he sees fit, as the material is his :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I recommend teaching them in sandbox before you jump to Revit connections. If they don’t understand those concepts they will struggle with the Revit stuff.

2 Likes

Hi All,

I am going to be teaching Dynamo again. I have all the class Powerpoints produced and ready to go. However I am now thinking classes are not the best way to learn Dynamo. I think a better way is to set challenges. I think if you just teach the basics and then ask people to solve a real problem or build a real shape using the tool. This is a better way to learn, would people agree?

I have attached a PDF showing a geometry based challenge. But I am stuck for ideas of similar shape making challenges and I also need some ideas for ‘automating tasks’ type challenges.

Dynamo Homework Challenge 1 - Model Canton Tower China.pdf (582.4 KB)

I suppose re-number doors based on a spline is a common problem most people solve early on. I am just looking for suggestions.

A portion of my usual list:

1. Make one of each data type (to learn data types)
  2. Build a vending machine contents by mixing ‘snack base’ (chips, popcorn, tortillas), with flavors (salted, spicy, plain) and size (4, 8, 16 oz.) (to learn lacing and list levels).
  3. Build a shape (your tower example sounds good, but be sure to mix in that parameterization isn’t even on NURBS curves if you haven’t already)
  4. Use this excel sheet to create objects in Revit/Civil3D/Alias/FormIt (to cover element creation, and data interoperability)
  5. Renumber all 1600 rooms in this hotel using one graph and no new geometry (spline for the corridor already exists) for Revit automation; Set existing trees which are with 2 units of a roadway or 5 units of a building into a demo layer for a Civil 3D automation.

Having a good handle on what the users do every day is key to illustrate the value in doing the exercise. If things are not directly related to their daily work, explain how the same concepts apply to such. Otherwise they see it as homework rather than learning a new skill while building a tool they’ll use often and won’t do it.

8 Likes

You’re welcome to borrow ideas from my channel if you like, I have over 100 workflows in here - most of which I’ve used on actual projects in the real world. Check out the ‘Dynamo Tutorials’ playlist.

Some workflows will be very complex for students, but a handful of them are targeted at beginners and focus on programming fundamentals versus workflows without fundamentals explained. Note that I do a majority of my scripts in Dynamo 2.3/Revit 2020.

I keep all my scripts from my videos on my github as well:

The only thing I’d ask is that you credit the channel if you use any of the workflows so your students may find it and learn from it as well potentially. My channel doesn’t really make me much money (I only monetized as YouTube was putting ads on it anyway), so my goal with it is to spread learning as far through the industry as I can. Good on you for teaching students Dynamo as well, it will serve them well in the industry no doubt!

3 Likes

from my experience in teaching dynamo. you have first to focus on the basics, like deals with strings , lists, input types , outputs … etc.
also you have to focus on how to think like PC, algorithms way ( input – process - output ) .

for geometry part, you have to learn some math basics and how to deal with the equations and it parameters using the dynamo ,
i recommend to have a look on this

5 Likes

This. 100% this.

4 Likes

I’d also add to reduce custom package use (if any). Deployment/versioning becomes a distraction quite quickly when they’re involved with teaching. Worth showing them they’re there, but reinforcing that they’re often shortcuts versus learning routes.

2 Likes

I have started to take a different approach - show getting packages sure, though that was never really a focus as it’s quite straight forward until you get to the minutiae. Showing how to make seems to provide more value for the long haul.

3 Likes

Thanks all for the responses. @GavinCrump I will be sure to direct them to your YouTube, it looks great!

@jacob.small - I absolutely agree I need to drill the basics thoroughly. After that stage, I think challenges are the best motivator. I have a few more challenges for my students including one that will solve a real problem for our office.

There are quite a few ‘Parametercism’ style buildings out there that can use for geometry challenges e.g. birds nest stadium, gherkin building London, Absolute Towers MAD, Heatherwick Curling Bridge.

In terms of automating/programming challenges I am setting stuff I have already completed e.g. creating sheets from excel, creating floor plan from rooms, creating floor finish floors from rooms, creating ceilings from rooms or floors, COBie setting COBie.Name parameters, door mark value from room number, reporting CAD links and location views, creating geometry at survey point system locations, moving levels up and down, add revisions to bunch of sheets, get door host wall thickness and write to custom parameter, model health checker export report to excel, prepare detached model for sending out, change a 3d floor to follow revit toposurface, create the company standard worksets, duplicating sheets with BIMorph nodes, setting up titleblock parameters for multiple sheets, rounding dimensions in view to nearest 5mm

And in my office I will be getting my students to automate the creating of Room Data Sheet schedules and adding to sheets, exporting them to Excel and then re-inputting data from excel

Feel free to also use anything on Dynamo Office Hours - #2 as inspiration :slight_smile: @jacob.small and I have collated a series of content in there that may have nuggets you haven’t seen yet!

3 Likes

Thanks I will add to the resources links I give out.

2 Likes

Does anybody want to do an exchange of content? I am thinking I will give copies of my powerpoints for some of yours. I am happy with mine I just want to get more content. To increase the effectiveness of my classes which start next week. Just send me a Private Message if interested. I won’t post here though.

iam starting with dynamo. it will be useful if you share the ppt with me. i know basics but my relation with dynamo has been on and off.

you have been an guiding force for me. if at all iam comfortable with dynamo to interpret its becoz of your youtube channel. Thanks. Will soon share my contents.

1 Like