Dynamo at workplace

Hello Guys,

This post is more about releasing a bit of workplace frustration. I am pretty new using dynamo and BIM software, but I am already enthusiastic about everything that has to be with it. I am designing several apps for improving the workflows with the primary focus on removing repetitive/time-consuming tasks from my workplace. Additionally, I have been trying to communicate everything I’ve been doing to my colleagues and share those apps to improve the workflow for the entire office. However, there is a significant friction for accepting the use of anything that is not inside of Revit.

I do get that people don’t like chance, and this is pretty much the standard issue when it comes to introducing new tools at the workplace. But it makes me wonder which is the mainstream when it comes to Dynamo solutions. Are you guys sharing your work with your colleagues? Or do you use any app you design only for personal use? I like to share knowledge, but now I am not sure how feasible is to implement dynamo throughout the office.

I would like to read about how you guys apply dynamo in your workplace.

1 Like

I’ve experienced similar frustration -
1 group is simply too intimidated by Dynamo, even pre-written scripts, that when opened they tend to “run away”, and proceed to keep doing the time consuming repetitive tasks that we’re attempting to streamline.
The second group is similar to your experience - simply has no interest in working outside of Revit even if it means they’ll save time/budget/fee.

I am lucky to have a few “power users” that are really excited to try anything new or anything that could potentially save them time (or allow them to go home on time or early!). My hope is that power user group eventually becomes so noticeable by their peers in the first two groups that they’ll begin to use the new tools more.

I hope it’s just a matter of time.

So far I have developed a few simple DYNs for my office. So far only two people at my company know how to use them.

I often include helpful Notes and Groups within the DYN so other people know how they work and I remember how they work :slight_smile:

It will take some time. Unlike the old days of Cadalyst with people sharing LISP routines, one has to be active on twitter or here on the forums to see what people are doing or to get some ideas.

Perhaps someone needs to start something similar to the CAD Tips from Cadalyst web site for people willing to share DYNs with description on how it works. Just an idea.

Sadly my revit user group has been fighting having a Dynamo presentation, so it will take time for people to get comfortable with Dynamo and how to use it in Revit.

@Chris_Pittman, Chris
Do you think its about the way tou present these new workflows?
Or them grasping the concept at all?
I would be interested in a way to get people over the to dark side too. :slight_smile:
I have the luck of having a CEO that wrote lisp routines in the past.
If they dont get it, ask them to sit comfortably in a chair and write a 6 in the air with their left foot, and a 9 with the right foot at the same time , then ask them why they are failing
Change management might be a way…
Basic database knowledge also helps.

Marcel

1 Like

Dynamo is definitely my wingman! (quote courtesy of @Marcello)

I use Dynamo daily for my own work, as well as provide solutions across my firm. Most of the time I see the hangup being what pops out the most when you google dynamobim. The result is mostly geometry, which is a great use for Dynamo. It just makes it a hard sell for someone who has never seen it, sometimes…

I always suggest to get people hooked by showing them how Dynamo can save time which in turn saves money. The geometry will follow. Dynamo for Data is the “gateway drug”, if you will.:wink:

I actually have a training course coming out soon regarding working Dynamo into your daily routine. I will share more details as soon as I am positive I can.

-John

3 Likes

I’ve presented the workflows as simple as I can make them -

• We spend a lot of time doing “x” , What I show you a simple 2 click method to reduce “x” to a small percentage of the time if used to take us to do it. Then actually demonstrate its use on a project. From there I get some initial excitement - a few converts/followers - but the majority will continue to do “x” the slower way b/c that’s what their comfortable with. This occurs whether it’s presented at a presentation type setting or one-on-one at a colleagues desk. What I’m presenting is time saver workflow type stuff, our offices haven’t had much use for the fancy geometry elements of yet.
    I’ve had some luck with some of the more senior level project managers who see dynamo as a means to improve profit margin b/c their teams won’t spend time on the time-consuming tasks, and when I get buy in from them usually the team follows fairly quickly.

I think it’s a matter of time - and my persistance/patience. I intend to keep presenting it to my colleagues and hopefully over time the buy in becomes the majority.

1 Like

My workplace is really open-mind, you can experiment a lot with new technologies and It is three years since I have started doing research on my own but finally I can apply those into a work environment. Everyone here want to learn and understand better dynamo.
Anyway I suggest you to follow all the blogs
http://archi-lab.net/the-year-after-dynamo/ @Konrad_K_Sobon
http://sixtysecondrevit.blogspot.it/ by @john_pierson
https://revitbeyondbim.wordpress.com/author/dietervermeulen/ by @Dieter_Vermeulen
and a lot of other…
Good luck for your work and your collegues will love you.

2 Likes

It is difficult to gain adoption and acceptance of a new tool / workflow. Even the best “power users” have a comfort level with the process they are familiar with, and change to that can be difficult.

My primary approach has been to lead by example. Show others who may be unwilling to experiment and explore the benefits.

I also try approach it with the attitude and support that “it is ok to fail”. Throughout history the greatest gains have often been received through taking risk, failing and then learning from those failures to push on and excel.

Giving colleagues the support and ability to explore.

The acceptance of Dynamo as a tool in practice is no different, and the community of users and innovators have allowed and will continue to allow it to grow and inform the process of tomorrow.

3 Likes

Are you using any additional add-ins, or just presenting your colleagues with your Dynamo definitions and how to open and run them in Dynamo? Dynamo can be a bit overwhelming for people with no scripting background and no familiarity with node-based tools.

In my workplace we’re migrating to Revit 2017 from an older version, and I’m developing some Dynamo tools (mainly to replace old add-ins that are essential to our workflows, but are not available for Revit 2017). The absolute requirement for these Dynamo tools is that they’re easy to use so that they can seamlessly integrate to the workflow of every person in the office. This means that opening and running - let alone EDITING - Dynamo definitions is pretty much out of the question. What we need is a button, within the Revit UI, that does one thing when pressed, the same way the old add-ins used to work.

There’s a solution to do just that, and that’s Dyno (http://tools.prorubim.com/en/dyno/). For those unfamiliar with it, Dyno is an add-in for browsing and running Dynamo definitions, and creating presets with different parameter values for a definition. It allows for the creation of Ribbon buttons, so once the Dynamo definitions are ready and working, end-users never need to see a single Dynamo node. Using the tools is as simple as pressing a button in the Ribbon toolbar. I suggest you at least look into Dyno, if you think the adversity towards new tools stems from the Dynamo node scripts being too intimidating or too complicated to use. :slight_smile:

I read your post with great interest yesterday but didn’t respond simply because our firm has other battles to fight besides implementing DynamoBIM and therefore had little to say on the topic. However, I still want to support anyone who builds, designs or creates and do have one point to add that hasn’t been mentioned in the other replies but which might be helpful: In my work with non-profits or at the office I’ve discovered listening often makes the biggest difference in getting things done. I’ve actually researched and applied the strategy quite extensively over the last couple of years and the biggest benefit right away is that surprisingly a lot of resistance melts away once people feel they have been truly heard. But careful listening also uncovers the real points of resistance which greatly helps addressing people’s true concerns. And yes, sometimes one digs down to find the resistance is to a great extent is emotional but even that can be useful information. If I had more time I’d outline a few examples from my volunteer experience but I would definitely suggest spending some time fleshing out some of your colleagues’ points of resistance. Good luck! Build lots!

edit:spelling!

3 Likes

Glad to read your responses. I was feeling lonely thinking I was the only one struggling to share the info.

@miika.liukka , interesting what you said about Dyno. The first time I heard about it. I will check it. I think add-ins are way more user-friendly than dynamo. I know that Dynamo is pretty scaring for people that are just not interested on programming. I try to do my DYNs as friendly as I can. I generally put a group at the beginning called “User Input” With a few notes. So, people actually do not have to check the rest of the script.