Taking "Solids" from Dynamo To Revit

Hi,
I know a bit about how to generate geometry if it is a family that is point based or line based, but I can’t for the life of me figure out how to publish geometry into the Revit environment if it is just solids. I am generating a custom handrail because it is a billion times easier in Dynamo than the native Revit interface. I got it all calibrated but I can’t get it to actually generate the geometry.

Helpful hints on how to do this?

I am normally a grasshopper user, so I have a natural predisposition to use generic solids.

Thanks,

Kevin

Never mind. I think DirectShape.ByGeometry will do the trick. Is there a way to group them before it publishes though?

Kevin

1 Like

I’d suggest the Springs directshape nodes- a bit better than the standard ones

You could possibly group the geometry using sublists.

Alternatively you could union them before exporting.

Andrew, thanks! Springs is really nice.

Could you help me out with sublists? Is that a component? As far as I know sublists is just a way of organizing the geometrical data… I need to make these railing components one giant model group in the Revit environment.

Andreas,
Union would only work on the rails around the frame. If I want to use different non-connected forms (like the frame within) and make them different materials that wouldn’t work out well.
Any other tips on generating it as a “Model Group” in the revit environment?

Kevin

Combine stuff in assemblies. There are nodes in SteamNodes and Clockwork for that.

1 Like

Thanks Andreas. I just installed both packages. Could you lead me in the direction of a node name I should seek? I am not a programmer and the Dynamo naming conventions are not new-user-friendly.

(side discussion: is there any talk of redesigning the UI to use more descriptive naming conventions?)

if you search in the library for “assembly” you’ll get all relevant nodes. the ones you’ll need are Tool.CreateAssembly (SteamNodes) or Assembly.FromElements (Clockwork). Regarding the naming - I don’t think so, but right now nodes are being re-categorized for the 2.0 release, so the library structure will indeed change.

Thank you! You rock man. The component naming is going to be a major negative for widespread implementation of Dynamo in people’s work flows. I tell people to learn grasshopper before they learn Dynamo because trying to learn algorithmic design while trying to simultaneously learn code-speak is an incredible challenge.

Hi

Can you post your Dynamo graph ?

As I understand it, the directshape nodes will create a single object (of the same object category) from all the geometry that is fed into it

So you would only need to create groups or assemblies if you want separate objects, or if you want to.combine objects having different categories

Andrew