Tag walls from linked file

Hello!
I have written a script that tags all the walls that contain a certain parameter and while it’s working for the walls in the file, it throws an error for walls in the linked structural model.
Is there any way to work around this? I have tried the create annotation tag component from archi-lab, but I can’t seem to get it working.

Hi @mihnea.ionita,

It is only possible to tag linked elements in Revit 2018 and later.
Use the Create Independent Tag node in Genius Loci package.

Example :

I failed to mention this, but I am using Revit 2019 with Dynamo 2.0.2. I’d like to use the tag by offset if at all possible so I can orient the tags parallel to the walls.

As far I know it will not work for the linked elements with the OOTB nodes (Tag.ByElement).
There are custom nodes to set the locations of the tags once there are created.

I can’t remember off the top of my head if there are custom nodes that allow you to tag linked elements or not… but I wouldn’t be surprised. The problem is that tagging elements requires the source document for the element being tagged and most nodes assume the active document. You may have to move over to python where you can specify the source document.

Hi @Nick_Boyts ,

The answer is post 2. Yes it is possible since the 2018 Revit API to tag the linked elements and yes, there is at least one custom node.

Is there a way in which I could modify the OOTB tag component to allow linked files as well? And if so, could you point me in the direction of related documentation?
Thanks!

Sorry, I’m unfamiliar with that package. “Independent” threw me off. The tag is actually referencing the linked element? If so, great! I was mostly just explaining why many nodes don’t work and how you can fix that.

You can’t modify OOTB nodes, so no.

:+1: Your explanation is completely correct, the source document must be connected to the tag creation node.

“Independent tag” is the technical term of the API.
IndependentTag Class

I was unaware. Thanks for that.

Hi have been borrowing this flow and seem to of hit a snag any idea why its not working thanks

Hi,

The linked walls don’t appear to exist in the active view.