Tag.ByElementAndLocation doesn't tag all elements on multiple levels in Revit 2022

Hi all,
I don’t know if anyone else has had this problem (I couldn’t find any post stating the same issue), but I noticed that when I use the node Tag.ByElementAndLocation to tag a bunch of electrical fixtures, it will tag them all successfully if I choose just one view. However, if I input a list of views, the drop-down menu under this node will show a whole list of tags and their IDs assigned to all the relevant electrical fixtures as if the tags have been successfully added. However, when I go to check the views themselves, only the first tag on that list will have been added to its assigned fixture, but the rest of the fixtures remain untagged. I also used “Longest” lacing for this very purpose but it still doesn’t seem to work.

Anyone else had this issue? And if so, did you find out why it was behaving this way?

Can you show a screenshot with the actual values you’re using (preview bubbles pinned). Do you have a unique location for each tag on each view? Are you sure the tags aren’t just outside the scope of the view?

Sure. I’ve attached a couple of pictures to show (I’ve blocked out company name, hence the green ink). Each tag does have a unique location allocated to it, but shouldn’t be so that the tags are outside the scope box. There are in total 14 electrical fixtures: 7 on one level and 7 on another level. It’s a sandbox model I’m using that I created, which is why the building looks extremely simplistic.

I hope these images show a clear enough picture. I wish I could make the images sharper so that the numbers pop out better, so I’ve had to create a zoomed in picture for a couple of them:

zoomed in image of the final locations of the electrical fixtures

zoomed in image of the final locations of the tags

As you can see, what I’ve circled in green, that’s the one tag that appears successfully. The rest don’t. However, if I right-click on that tag and select all instances in entire project, it ends up selecting all 14, but I can’t figure out where the other 13 are.

Remember the scope of the view includes the Z direction (view depth). All your tags are being placed at 0 elevation. Presumably the first level starts at 0 and would show the tags while the next level wouldn’t have tags visible at that elevation. You just need to adjust the Z coordinate of your tag points to be visible within the view.

I actually had the Z coordinates plugged in before but it still had the same problem. I’ve reinstated the Z-coordinate but it’s still the same issue, ie. only that tag is appearing but the rest aren’t.

Can we see what that looks like with the z coordinates changed?

Hi,
Was your FCU text sent in the Comment parameter for all your entities?

cordially
christian.stan

So below are the Z coordinates added:

However, the end result is exactly the same:

Hi Christian,
Yes it was as that’s the parameter our tag reads.

Picture 7

1 Like

I thought all the tags from the first level were showing, not just the first instance. This looks like a list structure issue (which is why we always ask for a full image with all the node preview bubbles pinned). I can already see that you have 14 points going to 3 views which obviously isn’t going to work without list levels. What does the element list look like? You’re going to have to split up the instances and points by view or you’ll have to tag every element in every view (which isn’t the best idea).

2 Likes

I applied list levels and it worked like a charm! The reason why I didn’t do list levels for this was because I thought, since using filter by boolean mask, it wouldn’t be necessary, but turns out it still is. Thank you so much for your help!

Any time you don’t have a matching list structure you’ll need to use list levels.

2 Likes