String data from Excel to FloorPlan View by Level node

Create View from Excel.dyn (16.4 KB)

The input for the Floor Plan View node does not accept String data. How can I translate a Level name which is a string from Excel to Level?

like this

Is the GetLevelByname a Custom Node? If so, which package is it from? I looked in the Library with a general search, and didn’t get a positive result. I also looked under Revit\Selection.

Thanks for replying so quickly.

sorry Archilab

Would love it if the title of each node showed which package is is from
Archilab: Select.GetLevelByName

Thanks for the clarification Andrew. I’m relatively new to Dynamo as you probably guessed from my question. I agree that it would be nice if Package Nodes had their own color similar to the color of a node in warning status. Other than that, rename the node and include the package name in the node title.

This is actually not something I recommend as it can make finding the node in someone else’s library more problematic and fails to indicate which version of the package it is from. Use the Monocle view extension (Available online package manager) to place a note (ctrl + w to do this manually) directly above each custom node indicating the package and version it is from.

As good as Monocle is, you have to know that it exists in the first place…

I think a major UI improvement (especially for beginners) would be to have some kind of graphic representation of which package nodes are from, built into Dynamo. Could be:

• similar to Monocle custom node differentiator TM
  • in title bar
  • on hover over node (to supplement description)

Some of this should be solved with the new view extensions (specifically for missing packages and package/node information.)

The team is aware of this need, and this kind of stuff is actively being looked at, but for now leveraging Monocle is your best bet (and why I chimed in).

While future developments will likely resolve some of this need, users today don’t have those tools available and for many years to come users will be often refer to images to ‘rebuild’ graphs for themselves. As such it’s up to seasoned users like you, Nick, and I to pass on the best practices of today (Monocle).

Jacob;

Thanks for the response and explanation. I am new to Dynamo, so I’m trying to find ways to add notes to graphs with supplemental information. I know I’ll need
a resource when I try to remember 6 months from now why I built a graph a certain way. I will try Monocle. (BTW: What is a View Extension?)

I appreciate your help.

Jim

image001.png

Thanks for adding to the conversation Andrew. I learned more about Custom Packages in the process.

Jim

image001.png

At the most basic level these are customization to the way Dynamo works at the user interface side - some examples are Monocle which adds annotations, alignment and grouping capabilities, and DynaMaps which adds GIS data consumption. You. Can learn more about them in the GitHub and old AU courses. The best part: they be deployed via package manager, just like the ‘regular’ packages you learned about above.