Stair Surface Area (using paint tool)

Good day to ALL,

Please help me. I need to do the following:

1. Extract Square Meter from “Painted Surface” of stair
  2. The Square meter will be shown in the parameter “Stair Surface Area” on the “Properties Palette” when the stair is selected.
  3. The Area that is Shown in Column A was automaticaly generated inside revit schedule when I painted the surface of stair, but it seems that it can’t be use as an Instance parameter.
  4. So I made a Type in parameter “Stair Surface Area” and manually copying the value from Column A.
  5. Do we have a node that can do this kind of things automatically?
    I have started to create a test file in dynamo but I’m not sure how it will work according to what we need.

Thank you very much in advance and God bless all.

So you need take a type parameter and write to in instance parameter correct?

Good day Sir _Vijay, that’s correct. Is it possible using Dynamo? Thank you very much for the reply. God bless always.

yes definitely is possible, share the sample file I will try. In between, you could use get parameter by value and set parameter by value nodes for your needs.

You might also want to take a look at what Gavin Crump has done in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kY5cVmgsTvg&t=5s&ab_channel=AussieBIMGuru

He uses the surface orientation from an element to select the faces which are not facing up (in your case you need the faces that are pointing up) to get the area for his concrete forms. By using this method you don’t need to paint the surfaces before using the script.

Good luck! Hopefully this helps :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Another great example from @GavinCrump. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks for the kind words and sharing my example everyone!

Isolating face Z values is indeed a great method I use for lots of things. If it helps my custom package ‘Crumple’ has a viewable custom node that can filter surfaces by their Z value also. I think I called it ‘SurfaceClampZ’.

3 Likes

this is the sample file @_Vijay
thank you sir
Stair-sample.rvt (2.6 MB)

So, you decided to assign the work to me!

okay, wich parameter need to fill?
need to take blue and white to red? or top stairs (landing and treads) area need to fill the red one.