Revit Crashed with Open Excel

Hi All,

I have the following issue:

I developed a tool that reads information from an excel file. So, when it starts, the excel file windows shows up (no problem). The script works just fine so far, but if I make a change in the opened excel file and save it, revit crashes.

I’m working with Excel 2016 and Revit 2017.1.

What could be causing this?

Thanks in advance!

Is the script in auto mode? Saving an excel file causes Dynamo to re-calculate that node so you are effectively doubling your memory requirement, as dynamo will remove the old Revit changes and make new ones but you still have an undo in Revit.

Nope. My script is in Manual mode, so I use Dynamo Player to start it.

Curious indeed… can’t say I have seen this before. What does the script do? Does closing Dynamo player keep Revit from crashing?

@jacob.small, my script reads some information from an excel file to create rebars from curves. Tried closing Dyhnamo Player and then saving the changes in the excel file… it didn’t crash. So, is a bug of the Dynamo Player?

1 Like

Did the same error occur when you start your Programm from Dynamo?

Sounds like a dynamo player bug. I’ve noticed a few issues with dynamo player interactions on the system. My favorite is that it causes workshare monitor to stop working.

Can you try using the script in dynamo and check if that causes the crash? would narrow down the issue some more.

No, never!

If I’m working in Dynamo (not opened through dynamo player), it doesn’t crash.

I’ll describe in more detail the ocurred event and I’ll post it.

Thanks!

1 Like