Help needed - Revit Crashes When Editing an Open Excel Files

Hi guys, I’m using Excel data to create some elements, everytime when I do some changes in Excel and save the changes, revit crashes in a few seconds, sometimes even didn’t show the crash screen.

It shows up in Dynamo 2.0.2 , 2.13,2.14, 2.30 with Revit 2018, 2020. I‘m using is Office 2013
I’m guessing something wrong with RAM problems?
Does anyone know how to fix this problem? Appreciate.

Hi and welcome!

Can’t believe i got here before Jacob storms in telling you about the security risks :wink:

Support for Revit 2018 has ended a long time ago. Dynamo is also a lot of updates ahead of the version you’re using. You should upgrade first and continue from there, as probably very few users are able to help you in these specific versions, as you cant even download them anymore…

1 Like

What’s the interaction with Dynamo? I assume you’re using Dynamo to read the excel file and create the elements in Revit? What is your workflow? How are you modifying the excel file? You’ve given almost no information. It could be as simple as you trying to modify a file that Dynamo has open and causing file lock to corrupt your Dynamo instance.

I do have to close my forum windows every once in awhile. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank u, cause some dynamo packages I use are no longer update, so if I copy them in higher Revit & Dynamo, unexpected errors will occur with dyn. I’ll try again with latest Revit & Dynamo.

Manually. Everytime when I manually modifying the excel file that already read by Dynamo, the program crashes. I’ll try with latest version, thank u.

Don’t run in automatic and see if that fixes things. You could also try Dynamo player.