Revit 2019 Install - Dynamo gone from Revit 2016

When I installed Revit 2019, it automatically installed the latest version of Dynamo: 1.3.3.
This version does not support Revit 2016 (so says your blog).
I am 99% certain that the Revit 2019/Dynamo 1.3.3 install caused an older version of Dynamo to be removed from Revit 2016 on my computer - it would have been Dynamo 1.2.

This is not acceptable behaviour, as most of the construction industry needs to maintain multiple versions of Revit (older projects under construction seldom get upgraded to the latest Revit). Autodesk licensing allows us 4 concurrent versions of Revit:
2016, 2017, 2018, 2019

Therefore Dynamo should also allow us to have it running under 4 Revit versions. If 1.3.3 does not support Revit 2016, that is very annoying, but it most certainly should not uninstall it - that is downright unfair!

I have not yet tried reinstalling the older version of Dynamo that does work on Revit 2016 - I await instructions.

Hi @Tim_Waldock1

If you Uninstall Dynamo 1.3.3 (Core and Revit) and Reinstall Dynamo 1.3.2 it would work for Revit 2016 to 2018 versions. But Unfortunately it will not work for Revit 2019(Dynamo 1.3.3 is supported). If you need Dynamo for Revit 2019 you should again install 1.3.3 i know it is painful :cry: until dev team solved this. I would suggest you report this issue here:

Good Luck!

2 Likes

Thanks Kulkul,
I reported the issue on GitHub - the developers said that it is ‘agreed practise’ to only support 3 versions. So dropping 2016 support was automatically done without any discussion. I think I upset them by complaining about this issue, but I see that other people are now complaining about this too.

While Autodesk decide whether to do anything about this issue, I have found my own dodgy workaround. I found a post on GitHub where some service pack for Revit 2017 did the same thing - someone suggested copying the Dynamo install files for 2016 to a safe place before installing the new version of Revit/Dynamo - then copying them back afterwards. In my case it was too late, so I found the installed dynamo files on another computer and copied them to the computer where they’d been blitzed. Much to my surprise it worked, and I now have Dynamo 1.2 on Revit 2016 and Dynamo 1.3.3 on Revit 2019. The folders are:

C:Program Files\Dynamo\Dynamo Core\1.2
C:Program Files\Dynamo\Dynamo Revit\1.2\Revit_2016

Then copy the ‘Dynamo.addin’ file from:
C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\Revit\Addins\2016

Copy those folders and files back to the equivalent place after the Revit 2019 installer has done its stuff.

I can’t promise it will work for you; and please be very careful messing around in the program Files folder (I wouldn’t normally recommend it).

3 Likes

You will want to have a look at the following post i have made on how to have dynamo on revit 2016 and revit 2019.

1 Like

Thanks Brendan,
That is what the developers recommend over of GitHub. The thing is that Dynamo 2.0 is not backward compatible, and is very much different under the hood to 1.3 - I am not sure exactly what the implications are, but I’d say it would mean you’d have to maintain two entirely different sets of everything (your graphs, custom nodes, packages etc). 1.3.2 and 1.3.3 are almost the same so you’d probably be able to share all your graphs etc between the two; however, I’ve heard some people say that it doesn’t work if you try to install both those (unlike 1.3.2 and 2.0, which it lets you install in parallel as you describe).
Howver, my real complaint is that why did any of this happen in the first place - why have a Revit 2019 installer that doesn’t warn you it is about to screw up your 2016 Dynamo install, and that you’ll have to manually fix it all some way?
Hence my workaround is a quick fix that involves minimal effort for the (hopefully) short time that you may need to support 2016.

ugh…i have tried just about everything.
Copying files / folders from “working” machines
Clearing out the registry
uninstall and re-install revit and dynamo

and still no luck. It certainly looks like the core 1.3 is installed on the PC.

dynamo%20snip
Core%20snip

I have figured out how you can still have 1.3.2 installed for revit 2016 after installing revit 2019, this is because for some reason revit 2019 blocks you from downgrading dynamo to a lower version than 1.3.3.

System Prepwork:
Uninstall revit 2019 and have the highest version of dynamo as 1.3.2 with all others uninstalled

Install procedure and changes to revit 2019 installer:
Within the revit 2019 install folders there is a copy of the dynamo installers within “x64\dyn” these are version 1.3.3. You need to replace these with the dynamo 2.0 version of the msi files. Then you can install revit 2019 and it will automatically install dynamo 2.0, without effecting dynamo 1.3.2.

Note: when i say dynamo i mean dynamocore and dynamorevit.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip. Worked like a charm.