Revit 2019 + Dynamo 2.0 Deployment Issues

All,

I am curious if anyone else is running into this issue. I have moved my company to Dynamo 2.0 and have uninstalled previous Dynamo versions from their computers. The primary reason for uninstalling is the stupid behavior Revit has when using the Dynamo Player and always defaulting to the older(est) version of dynamo which causes all graphs to fail.

When installing Revit 2019, users are having Dynamo 1.3.x reinstalled on their systems causing the same issues that I worked hard to prevent. I looked through the deployment for Revit and found no options to prevent Dynamo from being installed with the deployment.

So I guess I have two main questions:

1. Is there any way to update the Dynamo installation files within the Revit deployment so that all users get Dynamo 2.x?
  2. If not, is there any way to prevent Dynamo from being installed with the Revit deployment?

Thanks in advance!

No one? :frowning:

Have a look at this post i posted a while back as it will probably help you.

@Brendan_Cassidy This sounds like it will work but where exactly do I find the 2.0.x msi files you are referring to?

So, there are two things you can do:

1. “Unbundle” the Revit installations, and the Revit updates.

The deployments AND the point releases are really a bundle of a bunch of installers. On the deployments its easy: Go in the Deployment INI and remove the dynamo portion alltogether, and delete the Dynamo installer from the Admin Image. Poof, its gone.

The Revit updates are a bit more annoying: If you watch your TMP folder while the updates are installing, you can actually see the MSP/MSI’s that are being run, in sequence. This means that you can “unbundle” the 2019.1 update, per se, so that you install JUST the Revit update, and not the Dynamo installer.

This gets tricky, because in that bundle is also RCAO (Cloud worksharing version installer) and PACR (Personal accelerator for cloud worksharing). If you start goofing with THOSE as well, you are playing with fire.

But the short answer is: Yes, you can force the revit updates to not install Dynamo.

BTW, NONE of that is “supported” by Autodesk. For SEVERAL years ive been asking them NOT to force bundle the Dynamo Installer with Revit, because it makes Dynamo Implementation Management a giant bag of shit. But they wont listen to me.

FWIW, i dont use the method above, because its SUPER aggressive.

1. What i do, is use an application that manages my machine installs. The one i use is called Px Tools (www.pragmaticpraxis.com). Essentially, it allows you to list out a series of steps that happen at all installlations. So, my Revit install looks like this:

[Revit]

[RunOnceOnly] Revit 2019 Deployment
[RunOnceOnly] Revit 2019.1 Update

[/Revit]
[Dynamo]

[RunEveryTime] Uninstall Dynamo 0.7
[RunEveryTime] Uninstall Dynamo 0.8
[RunEveryTime] Uninstall Dynamo 0.9
[RunEveryTime] Uninstall Dynamo 1.0
[RunEveryTime] Uninstall Dynamo 1.1
[RunEveryTime] Uninstall Dynamo 1.2
[RunEveryTime] Uninstall Dynamo 1.3
[RunEveryTime] Uninstall Dynamo 2.0
[RunEveryTime] Uninstall Dynamo 2.1
[RunEveryTime] Install Dynamo 1.3.1

[/Dynamo]

Its a shit sandwich, for a solution. But it means that i can force uninstall every version of Dynamo, immediately after ANY Revit update. Then i can selectively install the one version of Dynamo i want to keep. if thats 2.0 for you, you can make it 2.0.

The bonus is: The PX Tools also sync all of our packages at User Login. So John updates our packages on the network, and they are copied over every time we log in. So we dont have to fuss with the network pathing issues, and we dont have to worry about it when we travel.

Its not awesome, but it DOES all work.

I believe that Dynamo Player always launches the Dynamo version which was last run in Revit. That is if you’ve opened 1.3.3 Dynamo, closed Dynamo, and then launched Revit you’d get Dynamo Player in 1.3.3. If you launch Dynamo 2.0.1 from inside Revit you’d get Dynamo Player 2.0.1. My guess is that by reinstalling (assuming you removed it) 1.3.x Revit is marking that as the ‘last version run’ in the settings file.

I’ve already begun to find out if there is a setting is to force Dynamo Player to run in version X. I’ll report back what I hear when I get a reply, even if it’s ‘we don’t have a means to do that at the moment.’

@Aaron_Maller - if you can forward me a link or info on who/when/where you made the request for the installer change I’ll try to follow up on it before AU.

I would suggest you speak to your IT department to get them to unbundle the dynamo installer you download from dynamo website as it has the required msi files within.

Or if you go to install the dynamo exe and watch your temp folder you can see they appear there and copy them to the locations indicated above.