Open files from revit server

Hello!

Is there a way to open files from revit server for dynamo automation?

kolbasz

Did you try a string in the file path input with RSN://RevitServerName/Folder/FileName ?

1 Like

Now I have tried it with // instead of / but not working.

I think the problem comes from the fact that if you put the same link in the open dialog of revit it is not jumping to the location. You have to click on the revit server icon on the side bar.

If you check the image I have string in the file path as there is no way to browse to the revit server.

I have a tool that accesses Revit Server using this path. So im guessing it’s possible

Are you sure you should be using / instead of \ for directory string?

we have tools accessing revit server also, its pretty much possible. What I don’t know how it is possible with dynamo and if the DynamoAutomation package can handle revit server files or not.

This happens when I’m changing to backslash:

kolbasz2

That is better than the error before. The first error meant that the filepath was invalid from a “we can’t even read it” point of view. This error just means that the file doesn’t exist at the filepath you entered (either file isn’t there or path isn’t right)

Well, if you get the central path from revit with the below script it gives it to you with // not with \
I’m not entirely sure if this is a better error, it’s like you inputted nothing.

OUT = BasicFileInfo.Extract(doc.PathName).CentralPath

I would say “unable to find the file” is more on the right track than “we can’t even read the file path you wrote” but I can’t find anywhere online that shows how to access the revit server network by its url so I can’t help, sorry.

@kennyb6, might you be aware of a way to tackle this one now by any chance?

Judging from this post, support was added in Revit 2019 but it is strongly advised against two posts later by @jacob.small and if he advises against something, I would take it as gospel.

If I understand BIM 360 correctly, with the use of Autodesk Desktop Connector, it allows you to access 360 files using file explorer so the path should be available with the proper methods (os module in python for example). I am not sure how to access Revit Server however.

1 Like