Open files from BIM360 in background

Hi everyone,

I have a few scripts which they need to open Revit files in background, but they don’t work on the Revit files which are on BIM360. I tried Autodesk Desktop and it doesn’t work as well.
I’m just wondering if it is possible to read files on BIM360 or not? or is there any node to give directory path from BIM360 (or Autodesk Desktop)?

Thanks for all your helps.

I am not sure about how to actually implement it, but support for opening cloud models was added in the Revit 2019 API version.

See the relevant ModelPathUtils and ModelPath classes. I don’t currently have access to Revit so I can’t test anything myself and can’t give specific guidance (such as how to actually determine the project and model Guids) but this should at least provide a starting point.

Thanks for your reply. I’ll check them.

1 Like

As a heads up: DO NOT attempt to open a cloud workshared project via desktop connector, double do not attempt this via an API method. That is an express lane to many various problems with cloud projects, as it removes any degree of worksharing if/when it actually allows you to work on the file. Bad things in all cases.

Your project and model GUIDs can be found in your Revit journals and/or collaboration cache.

Typically bulk processing of models (as it sounds like you are doing here) is best accomplish via Forge.

3 Likes

@Eli Regarding the desktop connector, are using design collaboration?

Hi,

Yes, I am. does that make any difference?

Cheers!

Hi @jacob.small,

Thank you so much for your reply.
Unfortunately, I haven’t got your point if there is any solution for that or not.
I appreciate if you could please explain it more.

Thank you.

The file you see in the Desktop connector is actually a zip file (even if it has extension .rvt). So as long as you have the latest cached file and depending what operation your scripts are performing, you can still access the file in background. You need to just unzip it first

Thank you so much for your reply.
I’ll try it to see if it works.

1 Like

This article is about opening cloud models using the Revit API:

Hi all, I was able to get pretty far with this article, and the other info in this post. Has anyone had an issue where the “Open Model” dialog does not go away after Dynamo is done opening a cloud model? Dynamo still works and I can edit and rerun the script, but this dialog box locks up Revit itself. Has anyone run into this and solved it?

Thank you

1 Like

Hi @wadeforit, I am having the same issue. Did you find a solution for it? Thanks!

1 Like

Hello @wadeforit I know this is an old post, but did you manage to remove the dialog after opening the model with dynamo?

I’m running with the same issue. Thanks!

@wadeforit I’m facing the same issue in Revit 2021, did you manage to find a solution to this?

Thanks

Hi @Shambhavee !

I started using RevitBatchProcessor (GitHub - bvn-architecture/RevitBatchProcessor: Fully automated batch processing of Revit files with your own Python or Dynamo task scripts!) when I need to run scripts on several models, it closes all the warnings and if there are new ones, you can always add them to the program as it is opensource.

Hope this helps

2 Likes

Hi @wadeforit ,

I have just tried this in c# and this dialog box disappears once the file in opened by creating the same script in c#.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

Best Regards