Location linked element (ifc colum)

hi there,

how can i get the location point of the linked element (ifc colum)

the location of a beam is possible but from a colum its not possible.

any idead?

Hi @w.yusufJA9SF,

You could try with the OOTB Element.GetLocation node or with the Element LocationCurve node of the Genius Loci package.

thank you

ive tryied every Element.GetLocation node but still no result. From wich package is that node?

That should be an OOTB node (Out Of The Box):

https://dictionary.dynamobim.com/2/#/Revit/Elements/Element/Action/GetLocation

hi Daan,

still no solution. :frowning: it says the curve or point is not valid

Both nodes worked for me Element.GetLocation and LinkElement.Location, try to start a new file and create some columns then check if it work there, maybe like this you can identify the problem in your original file…hope it helps

If the column is an “IFC” column from an IFC that was generated in something like Tekla then linked/imported to Revit - it will not report a location point or location curve using Element.Location. That is because the element is an imported Direct Shape geometry and not a curve-based or point-based family (like Revit Structural Columns).

Assuming the column is vertical and is a uniform shape (not an IFC Assembly that includes gussets, baseplates, etc) you could probably “solve” for a pretty close approximation of the location point by getting the solid geometry or the bounding box and finding the centroid for the XY coordinates and then using the lower bounds of the bounding box or the solid geometry to get the Z coordinate (similarly the upper bound would give you the column top then you could generate a location line using the top and bottom coordinates).

For finding centers of gravity see this post:

3 Likes

hi ben,

thank you for your response

i did exactly what you sead. the only problem is that i cant get the length of the colum. ive got the centre of the solid as point. i need to offset that point half of the colum length. thats the ussue now.

and i have the minpoint of the bbox with that ive got the maxpoint. i now need the curve between the two points and the half of that. any suggestions?

Something like this should give you the Z-offset you need:

awesome guys it worked

ive took 2 roads to get to the solution. the min max z-point of the boundingbox and the z-point of the solid.

thank you guys.