Linked Geometry Location

Continuing the discussion from Wrong locations of linked elements bboxes:

Hello, I have the same problem but with geometry. Do you think Bimorph can help with this problem? Basically I have a model which has a linked file that has its location already fixed by shared coordinates however when I get the geometry of the duct and containment, it projects it to the origin. Is there any way I can have the duct and containment geometry be like in the project where it penetrates the wall?

Yep BimorphNodes should handle this fine if you use its LinkElement nodes. Try using LinkElement.Solid node as the geometry will be extracted in its host location Nita its origin to origin location.

1 Like

Thanks for the quick response! Unfortunately my Bimorph package has an error with other packages which I ended up uninstalling but your suggestion was really helpful and led me to other solutions. I read in other discussions that I can use transform output from Spring Nodes’ selectlinkedelements node to properly relocate linked elements. I’m sure this is the same with Bimorph?

To anyone who comes across with the same problem with having their linked elements in the wrong location, you can check out the script below for some ideas and guide. The package used is springs nodes 203.1.0 by dimitar

Cheers!

Hi @Patman can you explain what the issue you found with BimorphNodes was as I always endeavour to fix any issues? I’m not aware of any conflict with other packages nor should it be possible so I’m keen to find out more as I could have missed something.

And yes BimorphNodes does what SpringNodes does only its more efficient, especially where there is lots of geometry as the transformation is done internally via the Revit API (so it saves the need to duplicate all the Dynamo solids).

Unfortunately I was unable to get a snapshot of the error warning but to further explain, though this won’t help much, I just saw the error saying that I need to uninstall Bimorph and there might be a problem with the Bimorph using some API (probably Revit API) along with other packages that I was using at that time namely archi-lab, Rhythm, spring nodes and Genius Loci. There were a lot more packages that was stated that was not installed to my revit. Just right now I re-installed Bimorph and it might have just been a bad installation of the package because I don’t have any warnings right now. If ever I get a similar error in the future I’ll definitely let you know.

Again, apologies for not being able to get a snapshot of the error. I’ll have the script done using BimorphNodes to compare the efficiency.

Another follow-up question if you wouldn’t mind. I wrote the script in Revit 2020 but I get an error whenever I open the script in Revit 2019. Is my script from Revit 2020 not compatible with Revit 2019? I’m quite new in Dynamo.

That might have happened if you were using another package with has a dependency on an older version of BimorphNodes when you have a newer version installed, it causes a version conflict and Dynamo will suggest downgrading to the version which matches the dependency which is probably the message you saw. This isn’t a problem specific to BimorphNodes, but a drawback of how packages work. Thanks for clarifying your issue.

I guess that’s possible, I was using an older version of archi-lab. Thanks for explaining.