Ladybug help

Good morning Guys,

I’m testing the Ladybug package and running the script there is a “null” answer from the location. I’ve tried also other epw files but it’s always the same.
Did any of you encounter the same problem?
how may I solve it?

Thanks for your help

Maybe try file from path node after your file path?

Hi @Anto keep in mind that package havent been maintenance for years in Dynamo…guess it only lives now in GH…

1 Like

It doesn’t work as well

Thanks

1 Like

probably there some other thing there could help…i know @GavinCrump have some tip for that :wink: and @jacob.small as well with Vasa…i dont work so much in that area :wink: :wink:

Yep my general advice RE ladybug is to use rhino and grasshopper as it works very well there and most certainly does work as well. Rhino inside can comfortably bridge the workflow if import/export is not desired also.

Here’s an example:

Ladybug has moreorless abandoned their Dymamo package since Revit 2019 so not worth trying to make it work there. Whilst you can use VASA or more rudimentary workflows to undertake solar analysis without Grasshopper, it’s a lot more work and Dynamo struggles to deal with larger context meshes vs Grasshopper.

Here is an example of a sun study workflow that does not use Ladybug, it relies heavily on Python though so not for beginners:

1 Like

Thanks Gavin…but in the future i guess Forma will take over :wink: :wink:

Vasa is one possible solution here. Most (all?) efforts from the Ladybug team have been primarily developing Pollination of late. Second hand info so take it with a grain of salt, but I had a user complain that Ladybug was stale and not keeping pace with the other tools during an after work event recently.

Looking into Forma and Polination is likely a good effort. Beyond that there is VASA and other tools for sun studies as well. Really need to know the use case before you can take a particular tool into account.

2 Likes

thanks a lot Gavin

1 Like

Thanks

1 Like

Ladybug is industry standard and honestly wipes the floor of any other solution I have tried if you need to control the code, just my hot take. Not sure about USA but all large firms in Australia use it and depend on it to some degree. Insight et al don’t even get a look in, Forma has some interest but again it’s just not there yet for most.

Pollination is their new focus for sure (and a good one at that), but I’m literally running Ladybug 1.7.26 latest in Rhino 8 less than a month after it landed and it’s smooth. Unsure what that user finds stale, the tools have been consistently correct/stable since I began using them in 2015. The tools haven’t changed much for solar analysis but then again, neither has the sun. Sometimes it’s nice when core tools are just robust/consistent.

The main fair criticism I accept for Ladybug is that it is a bit janky to install/maintain (typical of open source), and it’s a bit intimidating of a toolkit if you aren’t familiar with Grasshopper and principles of ESD analysis you are undertaking (e.g. running a daylight study without understanding what autonomy is).

My general take is you must try it to know the benefits. I’ve tried VASA and whilst more intuitive than expected it felt like a bit of a workaround to avoid mesh rays which Ladybug uses, and didn’t solve the challenge that Dynamo struggles taking in large numbers of high face count meshes as obstruction.