Issue with Cutting Extrusion Element with Void using Element.CutGeometry

Hello All,
I would greatly appreciate any help or guidance with the following issue. I am a complete beginner, so please make your responses explicit (i.e., explained fully and clearly, and not the other meaning of ‘explicit’ :wink:)

Objective: Cut an extrusion family element (a plate) with a void family element. This is a basic test of the flow before applying to multiple void elements to implement drill holes. Currently, I am trying to achieve this objective using the Element.CutGeometry node from the Clockwork package (but I am willing to try other nodes and packages).

Issue: ‘success’ output for Element.CutGeometry is ‘false’ and the void does not cut the extrusion. I have attached a picture of the flow result beside a view of the plate and void, because I cannot upload the flow file and the family files.

Environment: Revit 2021.1.7, Dynamo Revit 2.6.2.15772, Dynamo Core 2.6.2.15705 and Clockwork for Dynamo 2.x.

Please help me Dynamites, you’re our only hope.

Hi @ISECnico and welcome…havent tried but is it even possible manuel with a plate component ? if i remember right the geometry is some proxy element…

Don’t use plate, anchors, bolts anymore…

Hi @ruben.romero ,its that really your answer and the solution ??? then i would say never use computer anymore :wink:

1 Like

@ruben.romero Thank you for your suggestion. This model requires the modelling of plates and bolt holes.

Hi @sovitek, thank you for your consideration. I understand that my input form (component) might not be correct for the node. I am a beginner, so can you point me to some more information on proxy elements and how to convert to that form, because I do not know anything about them.

1 Like

Hi @ISECnico i dont know much about these components i am absolutely not a steel engineer :wink: but almost 100 sure it isnt possible to cut that way with void… but think it will cut if you insert a bolt on that plate…hopefully someone know more about steel component than me and can help you better here :slight_smile:

1 Like

@ISECnico it’s likely best to post a .rvt with the current state, and the desired state created though the Revit UI (without Dynamo) so people who want to help can brainstorm a solution in the context of your problem and desired end state.

1 Like

An idea did you “Cut with Voids When Loaded” turn on? Mine mistaked one’s.

1 Like

Hi @jacob.small, thank you for your guidance. This forum will not let me upload .rfa/.rvt files because I am a new user. I will upload another screen capture to show the current state (left) and the desired state (right). These are a plate extrusion in a .rfa, a void extrusion in a .rfa and a combined .rfa containing the plate and void components.

Hi @jwroelofs, thank you for your great suggestion. I found that setting and turned it on. The void component does not cut the plate component. I reloaded the Generic Models, but it still does not cut. Do you have any more advice for using this setting?

Did you use a facebased family?( for your void family)

1 Like

That last and other forum activity has bumped your trust level so you may be able to post now.

That said, if the file still won’t post for any reason, use another file sharing service such as Box, Onedrive, Google Drive, etc.

1 Like

@jwroelofs , thank you for the suggestion. I am trying it as an alternative solution. I have created a void family using a “Metric Generic Model face based.rft” template and then edited the void to cut the face. It works when I create an instance manually. Now, I am trying to place the family using Dynamo and the FamilyInstrance.ByFaceAndPoint node from the “springs nodes” package.

@jacob.small, well spotted! Yes, I now have a Basic trust level, so here is 1) the .rfa file, 2) a trial script using a Clockwork node (doesn’t work yet) and 3) a trial script using @jwroelofs’s suggestion of a face based family and “spring nodes” node (also doesn’t work yet).
Cutting.rfa (892 KB)
Plate_Holes_Clockwork.dyn (6.7 KB)
Plate_Holes_face_based.dyn (10.8 KB)

I read this tread again. I try to see what you really want. Cut hole (with a void fam) in a plate (fam) in a family.

What I do with a hole in an plate to cut a plate (slab in revit) I put 2 voids in the family one cut de plate and de second cuts the slab.

There are some differenties between floors and slabs. (i have some experience with cutting generic families with each other)

1 Like

I eventually figured out a solution by referencing this thread: Place hosted family instance by face
Here are files demonstrating my solution by placing one void family into an extrusion family.
Cutting_face_based_solution.dyn (27.6 KB)
Cutting_solution.rfa (980 KB)
I have also tested this solution by placing multiple voids and it still works. :smiley:

@jwroelofs , thank you for steering me in the right direction with face-based models. :man_bowing:
@jacob.small , thank you for your guidance on using the forum.

2 Likes