Cut Multiple Structural Framings with one Reference Plane

I am trying to cut multiple structural elements with a reference plane (Not with any other Solid geometry).

The script should prompt the user to select the elements to cut, and then ask for a reference plane to cut with. The selected structural framings should be cut accordingly.

If anyone could provide a Python script or a custom node to achieve this task, it would be greatly appreciated.
Please find the attached snapshots for a better understanding of the requirement.

Hi @Rittik ,

I don’t think there is a way in Dynamo to directly cut an element by a reference plane like the cut tool in Revit. I know it’s some manual work but I would just use the cut tool.

If you really want to automate it you would have to create a new Void family. Using that void family you can cut the elements using the Element.CutGeometry node from the Clockwork package.

Hi @Daan,
I appreciate your response to the issue.
There are 50,000+ structural framings present in the model, so doing it manually will take a lots of time.

I was also doing the same thing as you suggested regarding the void family, but that will effect the element quantity and also there are few other factors that restricts the use of additional family in the model.

Sample RVT?

Keep in mind that generally the process for helping is:

1. Come up with an idea on how you could help by attempting to fix the work manually.
  2. Attempt to build the tool to automate it.
  3. Document the resulting success or failure.
  4. Share the .dyn or code here.

To even get step 1 done anyone who wants to help would need a .rvt. We could build such a file but that’d require some additional time and guesswork on our part, and that guess might make the solution not viable (ie: if we built a fix in Revit 2024 but you are in 2021).