Hey, does anyone know how I can turn Dynamo solids into Revit materials? For instance, I’m working on a “pagoda.” (It’s pretty basic, but you get the idea.) I want to make the lofted base and eaves into brick and the finial (pointed top) into steel. Here’s the model I’m talking about.
FamilyInstance.ByGeometry in the Springs package would be a good place to start.
I can try that. I’ve never used this node before, though. Could you tell me what each input needs?
A quick search of the forum brought up this post, hopefully it gives enough info to get get you going…
Thank you for finding another forum, but it didn’t seem to be much help. I know which node to use, but I don’t know what’s supposed to go in each one. Like, if I just have a sphere, how do I turn it into a ball of brick in Revit? (Does that question make sense? I know it was a weird example, but that’s essentially what I need to figure out.)
Can you show what you have tried? Hard to help guide you into the right solution if we don’t know where you are.
Note that doing the exercise with the sphere instead of the complex data is likely enough to get you started.
Okay, that definitely helps me figure out where everything goes, so thank you for that. One last thing is that even though I think everything is in the right place, all I see in Revit are blue lines. I’m sorry, but could you help me with that? I’ll take Jacob’s advice and provide the Dynamo file so you can see what I mean in Revit. Bennett_FinalProj(V3).dyn (142.6 KB)
Tail end of your graph:
- You are providing multiple solids, but only one name. The count of the items in blue needs to match the count of the items in red, otherwise you’d ‘make the family and instantly overwrite it with the new one’ so you wind up with only one, being the last geometry in the list.
- You need to provide it with a Revit FAMILY template file, which has an extension of .rft. You are currently providing it with a Revit project .rvt. I have marked those changes in green. This path should work if your using the standard installation - be sure to change the 20xx to the correct Revit year (ie: 2020, 2019, 2018, etc):
C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\RVT 20xx\Family Templates\English_I\Generic Model.rft.
Give that a shot and see where you get.
It took a little time, but I figured out how to find the ProgramData. Turns it out I had to unhide it from File Explorer Options. I gave it a shot, but I don’t think anything happened. I’ll send the file with the updated node if you want to look at it. Bennett_FinalProj(V4).dyn (141.0 KB)