How to extract revit dimension values and export to excel

i am new to making dynamo graphs to do revit tasks.

i used the attached dynamo graph to extract dimension values of revit dimension and tried to export the values along with dimension suffix text into excel. but failed

please see below image of dimenions in revit i want to extract dimension values from and export them to revit.

thanks, gideon

Get all elements of category (dimension). There are nodes to get the value/suffix/etc from these dimension elements.

thanks for your help. after change, see an excel sheet showing many rows with the cells having the words “dimension” but see no numbers. after second run, no more excel values show.

but my orignal idea is to extract the numbers with a specific dimension suffixes and export the numbers along with the suffxies to excel.

thanks, gdieon

“There are nodes to get the value/suffix/etc from these dimension elements.”

but my orignal idea is to extract the numbers with a specific dimension suffixes and export the numbers along with the suffxies to excel.

Once you have those suffixes you could check if that suffix equals/contains/startswith a piece of text in a string, then use FilterByBoolMask to get the dims that match that check, you can then get the value of those dimensions and suffixes to export.

i think there is a node named dimension.style out there, i am using dynamo 1.8, i couldn’t find dimension.style node in it even after i installed archi-lab package for 2024.217.

i wrote these codes

and then i get nothing in my excel file.

if you can help, i would greatly appreciate it.

sincerely, gideon

sorry, not dynamo 1.8 , i am currently using dynamo 2.8

Suggest looking at these nodes:

hi, I get this error in the dimension.suffix node

Dimension.Suffix expects argument type

(s) (Revit.Elements.Dimension), but was

called with (string).

for the following graph:

please help me to solve the error if you can and want.

thanks, gideon

Can’t see anything in that image as it’s so tiny and the labels are hidden. But based on the error, you’re not feeding the dimension into the suffix node, but instead a piece of text. You need to use the dimension element(s) as an input.

sorry,do you mean there is a node named dimension.element and in this node i can specify the suffix name and input the name into dimenion.suffix node?

sorry i am new to dynamo.

also, i cannot find any node named dimenion.element. please help

hello, here is a potential direction

cordially
christian.stan

As before, can’t see your image so straight guessing here, but I think you need to do something like this:

(noting that this skips a few nodes so you’ll need to rework how those are integrated into the graph.)

I’m assuming the first 2 nodes are Category and All Elements of Category and the orange node is the Dimension.Suffix.

The ‘All Elements of Category’ is getting the dimension elements. The nodes you’re using after that are getting info from these elements such as the suffix, value, view, type, etc, which are now no longer dimension elements so the suffix node can’t retrieve a value.

hi, hamish, thanks for your help

i used the following graph:

and was able to get these in excel

i am trying to test from above but i am trying to get the number of the dimension from revit file and export to excel. what should i do? now even i do not do any filtering , the export of all elements of dimesion only give me the word “dimension” in excel. but i actually want the value of dimesions in excel.

please help. thanks, gideon

‘All Elements of Category’ is collecting the dimensions elements that are simply reporting as “Dimension” in your export. If you use the dimension value/suffix/prefix/etc nodes after ‘All Elements of Category’ you’ll get that data. You could collect all of these and then use ‘List Create’ then feed the resulting list of lists into the Excel input if you want more than one parameter.