Getting Conduit Run Length with Dynamo

Hello All-

I am new to the forum and pretty new to working with Dynamo. I work for an electrical contractor and one of the most frustrating things I have found in Revit is not having the ability to get the total length of a conduit run. Thanks to this forum I have come across some helpful topics and have managed to piece together a working script. I even, almost, understand how it works, haha!

My question I’m hoping someone can help with is when I click on select in the dynamo script and then go into Revit to select my run I have to draw a selection window around the entire run. I’m not able to to do a tab+select as I normally would to select my runs. Is there a better node I can use to accomplish this or a Revit trick I don’t know of? A selection window isn’t going to work in a real world coordination setting.

Of course as I type this I’m realizing I can isolate the run in Revit and then run the script and easily do a selection window… :woman_facepalming: Still, if there is a better way to attack this that would be more efficient, I’d love any suggestions. It could take a lot of time to isolate every run in a large project, but that’s still a better solution than tracing runs with splines for a length. That’s what one of my collegues has been doing. I;m determined to find a better way.

Below is a link to my script and Revit project.

Thanks in advance!

Conduit Run Length Test

Look into the Datashapes package which has some nice UI triggers to allow for a more targeted selection. :slight_smile:

Awesome! Thank you!

Conduit run length can also be done in Revit conduit run schedules. If you use a shared parameter for each run and filter with it. I use many shared parameters for To, From, etc. and sync it to my Excel feeder schedule with the Wireworks add-in. The add-in also populates the shared parameters through the conduit run, which I have no idea why they didn’t build that into Revit in the first place!
In the image below, I filter by Feeder No. - contains - blank
If you have multi set feeders (using the same feeder number) I think it will use an average for them, but I’m not sure. It will only work with conduit without fittings.

Data-Shapes looks pretty slick…I’m sure I can put this to use!

1 Like

Thanks @dvclark5

I have had zero luck with that run schedule. Maybe I should give it another look though. And I will look into that add-in. Being able to link to a feeder schedule would save so much work!

Revit has a problem pushing shared parameter values to conduit run schedules. GTP’s “Wireworks” and Interstates “Conduit Audit” are two tools you can use to push the shared parameters to the conduit run schedule.