Generative Design 21.16.10 Crashes

Just updated Generative Design to 21.16.10. I can open and run studies but when I click Open Generative Design Tools I crash. Any ideas?

Details

Set property ‘System.Windows.ResourceDictionary.Source’ threw an exception.

at System.Windows.Markup.XamlReader.RewrapException(Exception e, IXamlLineInfo lineInfo, Uri baseUri)
at System.Windows.Markup.WpfXamlLoader.Load(XamlReader xamlReader, IXamlObjectWriterFactory writerFactory, Boolean skipJournaledProperties, Object rootObject, XamlObjectWriterSettings settings, Uri baseUri)
at System.Windows.Markup.WpfXamlLoader.LoadBaml(XamlReader xamlReader, Boolean skipJournaledProperties, Object rootObject, XamlAccessLevel accessLevel, Uri baseUri)
at System.Windows.Markup.XamlReader.LoadBaml(Stream stream, ParserContext parserContext, Object parent, Boolean closeStream)
at GenerativeDesign.Dynamo.UI.Views.GenerativeDesignMainView…ctor(GenerativeDesignMainViewModel viewModel)
at GenerativeDesign.Dynamo.ViewExtension.GenerativeDesignViewExtension.OpenSidePanel()
at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(Object source, RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean reRaised)
at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args)
at System.Windows.Controls.MenuItem.InvokeClickAfterRender(Object arg)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)

EDIT: It looks like I can open Generative Design Tools in Sandbox just fine. This is only crashing in Dynamo for Revit.

EDIT 2: I’ve also tried this in our test environment and the same thing happens.

Hi Nick,

Can you post the contents of the error report in that crash message? You can view the logs if you click “Details” in the window.

Best,
Nate

Should already be in the hidden Details section below the image. Is that what you’re referring to?

Hi @Nick_Boyts - sorry I missed that!

If you open up your Manage Packages dialog, can you tell me the installed version number you see for the Generative Design packages?

Also, in “Manage Node and Package Paths”, do you have any folder locations set up to load packages before the “C:\ProgramData…” folder?

Best,
Nate

GenerativeDesign 1.6.4

Only the default locations currently.

Are you on a machine or windows version with a non US or non english locale?

Nope. I’m on a VDI hosted in the US. There was a brief time a while back where the virtual machine was incorrectly identifying my location, but that’s since been fixed and I just confirmed my location is correct. (I don’t think it ever located me outside the US either way.)

Can you send me a DM with your email address so we can find a time to set up a call? We aren’t able to reproduce this internally, so my best guess is that the issue is related to conflicts with something else installed on your computer.

Hello,

im getting a similar issues with the sandbox version.
after clicking generative design > explore outcomes . this error pops up,

but when running inside of revit , the GD tool work perfectly.

1 Like

Hi @neel-studio4 - I don’t think that’s related to Nick’s problem, but I can definitely help you look into that. Can you start a separate help thread for your issue?

Following up here if anyone runs into @Nick_Boyts’ issue in the future. We found that a third party Revit add-in from CTC was loading an older version of a DLL dependency that is shipped in GD (MahApps.Metro.dll). The solution for now was to disable the CTC add-in, which prevented the Dynamo crash Nick was seeing.

What was the solution?

Uninstall CTC? I have the same issue

@nate.peters @Nick_Boyts

Yup. Or at least remove the add-in file for that version of Revit. I’ve since been able to use CTC (seems to be hit or miss) but every once in a while I’ll get conflicts with an add-in and just temporarily remove it.

I still had the same issue even after removing CTC
I removed the Suite.bundle folder and the Suite.addin

Maybe there is another addin issue

I’ve had issues with multiple add-ins myself. All you can do is remove them and move on.

Thanks for the help!
It was one of these… I will update if I have time to narrow the list down

Hi Everyone,
I had a fresh Revit 2022 and somehow I have the same issue in Dynamo.
I am not sure if I have the CTC add-in or not.
Where can I check?
Any help is appreciated. @nate.peters

Could not load type ‘GenerativeDesign.Dynamo.Interfaces.Validation.IEvaluationResult’ from assembly ‘GenerativeDesign.Dynamo.Interfaces, Version=1.10.10.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null’.

at GenerativeDesign.Dynamo.UI.ViewModels.IssuesViewModel…ctor(INotificationService notifier, IThreadDispatcher dispatcher)
at GenerativeDesign.Dynamo.UI.ViewModels.GenerativeDesignMainViewModel…ctor(INotificationService notifier, IThreadDispatcher dispatcher, StudiesManager studiesManager)
at GenerativeDesign.Dynamo.ViewExtension.GenerativeDesignViewExtension.OpenSidePanel()
at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(Object source, RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean reRaised)
at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args)
at System.Windows.Controls.MenuItem.InvokeClickAfterRender(Object arg)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)