Generative Design Tools Crashes Dynamo

I just updated Generative Design to v21.16.10 and when I try to open the Generative Design Tools to add/update a study, Dynamo is crashing.

All of my graphs were created prior to updating., and this is only occurring for some of them, for others it will open correctly. I have replaced the generative design nodes with the updated package versions.

Current Generative Design packages are all 1.6.4.0.

Dynamo Versions:

Crash Report Details:
Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

at GenerativeDesign.Dynamo.Visualization.ViewModels.ExampleConnectorViewModel…ctor(ConnectorViewModel connectorViewModel, DynamoViewModel dynamoViewModel, NodeStatus status)
at GenerativeDesign.Dynamo.Visualization.ViewModels.BaseVisualizationViewModel.OnConnectorAdded(ConnectorModel obj)
at GenerativeDesign.Dynamo.Visualization.ViewModels.BaseVisualizationViewModel.InitializeGraphVisualization()
at GenerativeDesign.Dynamo.ViewExtension.GraphValidator.CreateGraphModelVisualization()
at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(Object source, RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean reRaised)
at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args)
at System.Windows.Controls.MenuItem.InvokeClickAfterRender(Object arg)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)

Hi Aidan,

Sorry to hear that. Can you tell us if you can select and run (with defaults) the provided sample: Three Box Massing?

Thanks,

Neal

Hi Neal,

I am able to run the three box massing without any issues in dynamo or generative design.

Hi Aidan,

Is it possible for you to share your Dynamo graphs etc with us? This will help us debug them.

Thanks,

Neal

FYI @nate.peters

1 Like

Hi @boyle_aidan

I just helped @Nick_Boyts debug this same crash last week. We narrowed down the problem to a 3rd party add-in from CTC that his company was using had some dependency conflicts with Generative Design. Do you have any Revit add-ins installed on your machine?

Best,
Nate

@Neal_Burnham I’m not sure I can share my graphs here, maybe on a call or something.

@nate.peters I have Unity Reflect installed. I believe that’s the only 3rd party add-in I have currently.

Can you try temporarily removing that add-in and checking if the issue goes away?

Also, do you have other Dynamo packages or extensions installed in addition to GD?

I tried removing Reflect, but no luck with getting it to work.

I have a number of dynamo packages installed

Could you also try temporarily removing the non-GD packages and restarting Dynamo?

I have run into a similar issue prior where CTC tools caused Dynamo to fail opening, at the same time had a coworker with a similar issue but he had to disable PyRevit.

I recently updated a in house tool that when I did it ended up causing the same issue again. I tried disabling my add ins 1 by 1 and deleting all packages installed but couldn’t find the culprit. So instead of fighting it downloaded this tool for convenience and disabled all add ins, which got it working for now. So I just have to toggle back on when not using dynamo, its definitely a band aid on the problem but until I can get our IT to re-mirror my HDD it’s the best resolution I could find to get me back working.

No luck with that either.

Thanks for trying that - it must be something with your graph then. Can you send me an email with the graph attached? If you aren’t able to share it let’s set up a call.

nate.peters@autodesk.com