Filled Region over walls possible?

Hello! I just started learning Dynamo and I’m in love with it. I’m wondering if it’s possible to create a filled region over a wall automatically with Dynamo by just choosing the wall type?

Example:

It would be ideal if I could just chose the wall type and it does this instantly for that wall.
Is this even possible?

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

you could change the “cut” pattern in the view template? this will also save you time if the wall thickness / layout changes?

You could get the face references of the walls and turn them into polycurves and then make a filled region.

However, unless you’ve got a really specific need for that or are just doing as a ‘something interesting to try in Dynamo’ exercise, then I’d avoid filled regions. This is the sort of thing you could handle natively in Revit with filters in your VG/templates. Even setting up Dynamo to do ‘override graphics in view’ for you would likely be a better solution than filled regions, but I’d probably even avoid that if possible.

1 Like

No, it’s not possible for a specific need. So I need to create a filled region over the wall. Do you know how can I automate that with Dynamo? To just select the wall type and it does it for you? Is it even possible?

I need it for a specific need.

Is this the node that get the face references of the walls you are talking about?

I can’t figure out how to create the polycurves from face references.

Hi Didek,

Use instead the Element Surfaces References node.

Hi Alban! Thank you for the great advice :slight_smile:

I managed to create a script that works! The only problem is that it looks like this:

Is creates a separate filled region for every wall instead of creating one single filled region for all walls.
Is this possible to fix somehow? :slight_smile:

This is the script:

Hi @didekalsan !
Did you tried PolySurface.ByJoinedSurfaces ?

Surface.Union (or something similar, can’t recall the exact name) will merge those surfaces into a single surface.

Hi @Francois_Labonne!

No I have never tried PolySurface.ByJoinedSurfaces before. I tried using it now but it gives me the same result:

My guess is that I’m using it incorrectly?

I can’t find any node with the name Surface.Union but there are many similiar and I’m not sure which one it is because I don’t understand how they work :frowning:

Is it any of these:

i think you need to use List.Flatten before the Polysurface node

I still get the same result. This is the script:

BEFORE the polysurface node :slight_smile:
(it will make a list of surface instead of a list of list, then a single surface))

Yes sorry my bad!

I get this error:

The node I was referring to is Surface.ByUnion. It will probably just do the same thing as the Polysurface node, so either or there.

1 Like

Hi @Hamish !

I can’t find the Surface.ByUnion. From what package is it? :slight_smile:

I tried using the Polysurface node but I get an error as you can see above in my previous comment

It’s an OOTB node.

Still can’t find it:

Can you try uploading you script?