Creating a Filled Region from a Linked Model Wall

Hello Everyone,

I’m very new to Dynamo and this is the first script I’ve attempted to build on my own. I’m a structural engineer and frequently have to use regions over walls to highlight load-bearing conditions. The goal is to use the Dynamo Player to select a wall from a linked model and have a filled region placed over that wall’s structure (e.g. the studs in a wood wall).

The thought process was using the edges of the wall and the node “FilledRegion.ByCurves”. The two paths that I pursued were creating a curve based off location line and creating a curve based on the surfaces of the selected elements. The latter was tough because longer walls with openings have many surfaces. I had to manually check each surface until it would produce the region in plan. I thought there may be a way to define which plane the surface should be in and filter it down that way but had little success. Having this script be convoluted and slow defeats the purpose and that’s where it seems to be headed.

Ideally I wanted to just highlight the structural portion of the wall but I wasn’t able to extract info that deep within the element parameters.

Any feedback would be awesome. Most of the information I’ve found regarding filled regions has been based on rooms, ceilings, etc.

Thank you!

P.S. I can’t upload the script because I’m a new user. Hopefully the screenshot will suffice.

Image is a bit blurry. You should be able to host the image here. Please use the camera export after zooming in so the nodes and previews are legible.

Copy/monitoring the walls into the project may afford a better solution. Once copy-monitored you can filter out walls which are non-structural, then convert the remaining structural walls to parts. Once converted the non-structural layers can be excluded from the part. This will remove the need for filled regions entirely, and give you 3D geometry to use for other aspects of automation (say laying out framing based on the stud layer’s geometry).

Thanks for the reply. I used the camera export so hopefully it is more clear (didn’t know that Dynamo had an easy export).

When I first went down this path I considered copy monitoring but I wanted to try and keep the structural model as slim as possible for several reasons (storage space, speed, etc.).

Unfortunately I don’t need the other parts of the geometry as I don’t model the wood framing. I use detail groups consisting of text, symbols, and filled regions. Regarding your comment on the wall - is there a way to use Dynamo to exclude the non-structural layers from the wall? I wasn’t able to find a node that went that far.

Wall%20Structure%20in%20Revit|372x500