Export family parameter properties to Excel

Hi, This is my first post to the forum so hello all. I’ve been reading posts for some time and have found them very helpful. There are some very talented people here!

I’ve been looking at a graph to extract the properties from family parameters into an Excel file. I’ve used the nodes shown below

the FamilyDocument.Current & Family Document Parameters are from the Orchid package. The FamilyParameter.Properties is from the Clockwork package. Package versions are as shown below:

image

I’m running
image

The Orchid nodes work fine at extracting the parameters but when the data is fed into the Clockwork node I get null values for all properties. I’ve connected the list via a Flatten and have tried all three types of lacing but still get nulls.

I’ve also tried using the OOTB nodes to extract the parameters & taking 1 parameter from the list to connect to the Clockwork node.

Again this yields nulls when run.

I’ve attached copies of the Dynamo file and Family Document. It would be great if anyone has a solution/workaround for the issue I’m having.
Extract Multiple Family Parameter Properties to Excel_Forum.dyn (46.9 KB)
WN-Frame Circular Arch-5x3-Assembly.rfa (1.3 MB)

Hello!

I think you try use DirootOne (Free) better Dynamo, It’s Amazing Plug-in

=>Link below:

DiRootsOne - 8 productivity Revit Plugins by DiRoots

DiRootsOne - 8 Productivity Tools | Revit | Autodesk App Store

Your Family

Hi @ross,

You could use the FamilyParameter.Properties node in conjunction with the FamilyDocument Parameters from the Genius Loci package.

Hi @Alban,

Many thanks for your suggestion. I tried the GeniusLoci nodes and got the same result. All the nodes I’m trying work except the FamilyParameter.Properties node. I’ve also tried this in Revit 2021 and got the same result, nulls output from the #Clockwork node.

I’ve tried installing the latest version of DynamoIronPython but this did not solve my issue either…

Hi @manhgt214 thanks for the plugin link, I’ll give it a go if I cannot get the Clockwork node to work

Try pulling apart the Properties node to run it in your graph directly and see what fails there.

EDIT: It looks like all the parameters are failing at SpecTypeId (line 35). That’s leftover from 2021 but has now been depricated. You can replace it with the updated method:

utype.append(param.Definition.GetDataType())

Hi @Nick_Boyts Many thanks for the suggestion. I pulled apart the custom node as suggested then changed line 35 to your suggestion then ran the graph again.

I got a few errors on the custom node contents, the furthest upstream was on the first Python node:

Node Name: Python Script
Package: Core.Scripting
Dynamo Version: 2.16.1.2727
Host: Dynamo Revit
Messages: PythonEvaluator.Evaluate operation failed.
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “”, line 29, in
AttributeError: ‘FamilyParameter’ object has no attribute ‘Definition’
State: Warning

The line of code reads

pname.append(param.Definition.Name)

I only know the basic concepts of Python so have little idea of how to solve this, I tried deleting Definition in line 29, then got the same error on line 32. I’m guessing the Definition attribute needs to be replaced or removed but I’m not sure with what…

Try with the Genius Loci package again. It returns the correct object type.
image

1 Like

Hi @Nick_Boyts that worked perfectly, many thanks!