Dyno Browser with Revit 2021

What are you trying to get dyno to do i guess? Pyrevit is free and can run dynamo scripts as buttons so can effectively do the same things aside from the tuning parameters (which in my experience are very awkward).

I guess it has the player mode too but never had much luck with it myself. Orkestra might be worth looking into.

2 Likes

I didn’t actually know pyRevit can also run Dynamo graphs… (shame). Thx for letting me know!

I requested a Demo for Orkestra, still all depeneds on the pricing though :wink:

However, I expect it would be pricey, as it includes lots of functions we have already handled ourselves - such as usage statistics, analytics, etc.

1 Like

Further to what has already been indicated about Dyno Browser development. I would add with the current world situation at the time of this post, that sanctions could limit/stop you from being able to use Dyno Browsers.

Therefore it may be wise for you to make the switch to another tool that Gavin has indicated.

1 Like

We use Dyno successfully on Revit 2021 and 2022. The big downside to it is you can’t also run it on 2019. You have to choose which version of Revit you want to use and install the version of Dyno that works with it.

@danail.momchilov I’m not sure where those requirements you pasted in were, but on the page I’ve downloaded from it says it supports through 2022. I think it’s version 1.02 right now.

I used pyRevit for this purpose early on, but it has the significant drawback of leaving a script running in the background. I’m not sure exactly what the inner-workings of Dyno vs pyRevit are, but I had to abandon pyRevit for this purpose as it caused problems with some of our scripts (although pyRevit is amazing in pretty much every other way).
Dyno runs every script I’ve thrown at it exactly the way I want it to, including those that had issues when run via pyRevit.

2 Likes

I will add, though, that we do plan to move away from Dyno at some point. Probably moving in the direction of rebuilding our tools in Python and running them via pyRevit. Biggest reason being the lack of development on Dyno and complete and total lack of any communication from ProruBIM when you have any issues with Dyno.

Now I just have to learn Python and the Revit API. :smiley:

1 Like

Thank you for your detailed feedback!

In our company, even though we have some of our tools written entirely in a programming language (either Python or C#), we are still using Dynamo. At least for us, Dynamo is quite easy to build a quick solution and test a certain workflow, get feedback, etc.

Apart from that, we have quite a few graphs already and turning them all to plug ins on would overpopulate the Revit ribbon :slight_smile: So I guess it’s a matter of balance, what is used the most, etc.

@TheMattatonAP
Actually you can setup Dyno to run in 2019 thru 2202. What I did was install Dyno browser 0.9.0 for 2019 and changed the C:\Program Files folder from Dyno to Dyno090. Then modified the DynoAddin file for Revit 2019 to look at that folder. Then I installed Dyno browser 1.2.0 and renamed that Program Files folder from Dyno to Dyno120 and modified the DynoAddin files for Revit 2020, 2021 and 2022 to look at that folder. So far it has been working with no issues.

1 Like

@staylor Ah, that’s awesome! Thanks for that!!!

No problem! Glad to help!

@staylor Where did you find the DynoAddin file? I’m hunting around for it, but no luck so far. :slight_smile:
Thanks!

Nevermind. Found it under C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\Revit\Addins\ --year–

1 Like

@staylor Okay. After some troubleshooting, I realized I had to copy the DynoAddin file into the 2019 folder because it would go away when I installed Dyno 1.2.0. So, now Dyno is working in 2019 and 2022, BUT…
Only problem I’m having now is that the same Dynamo script path is used for both versions. If I change it in one, it changes it in the other. I have a different set of scripts for 2019 vs 2021/2022 because the third-party Dynamo Package paths/versions are different.

Did you have to get around that? If so, how? :smiley:

Thanks!!!

@TheMattatonAP Yeah I am going through the same issue also. Luckily I was able to get all of my scripts to work up through 2021, but had to create new ones for 2022. My only current work around is having two menu pulldowns. Both show up in all versions of Revit, but one is specifically named Scripts for Revit 2022. Not a big deal having an extra menu pulldown. It’s more of a hassle having two versions of the same scripts. You will have to name your 2022 script sub-folders differently (see example below), in order to keep the scripts separated.

Below is my button.txt file that should help explain how they show up in Revit.

buttons.txt (447 Bytes)

2 Likes

@staylor
Yeah, I thought about doing that. I already have two ribbon tabs for ours just in 2022. I had to separate out our Life Safety tools because the main tab was getting too full. :smiley:
I may need to start doing drop downs as you have.

Being that we have all but abandoned 2019, I’ll probably just let it ride. It was definitely more of an issue until recently.

@TheMattatonAP I got a little over 50 active scripts, so there was no way that I could have them not in separate pulldowns. Plus it makes it a little cleaner. Of course each script icon is smaller and more difficult to make out, so you have to be a little more creative if you really want to illustrate the purpose of the script.

1 Like

Feel free to try NonicaTab for free in Autodesk App Store :slight_smile:
The simplest way to integrate and deploy your Dynamo scripts as Revit buttons. No code at all!

NonicaTab-MP4-cropped-1

@Nonica.io $50/user/year? Just to host Dynamo scripts on a ribbon, which I can do for free with Dyno or pyRevit? No thanks.

The subscription business model is a plague. Give me the old days where you actually owned a perpetual software license and didn’t rent the blasted thing. Now every software company from mega-corps to mom-and-pops think we’re supposed to pay for software forever (whether they update the software or not). And as soon as you don’t, it stops working no matter how many tens of thousands of dollars you’ve thrown at it over the years [Looking at you, AUTODESK and ADOBE].

Okay, rant over. My apologies.

Thanks for your feedback @TheMattatonAP ! We appreciate your honesty and we will not get into a debate comparing our solutions with other products. However, it is worth mentioning than hosting Dynamo scripts as native Revit buttons in two clicks is a feature included in NonicaTab FREE version available in Autodesk App Store. Without getting into details, NonicaTab PRO, the paid version, offers much more than that and it has been designed for deployments and professional use.

@Nonica.io Yep. I had a look at the Free vs Pro versions. We have way more than 12 scripts, so the Free version wouldn’t work, which is why I referenced the Pro version.

I like what you’ve done, looks like a solid offering. Just not something I can justify that amount of money for when we already have a working solution for free. Maybe I’d consider it at $50-$75 ONCE if the feature set is better than the free options, but not every year.

Let Relay free solution be in this topic:

1 Like

Does Relay work like Dyno or like pyRevit? They have different ways of invoking the scripts. Dyno runs Dynamo Core in the background. I had issues with pyRevit’s implementation leaving scripts open in the background and leading to unwanted behavior with certain scripts. From what I recall, pyRevit required the scripts to be set to Automatic which led them to replay.