Dynamo Scripts opening as read only when not on c:\

Do Dynamo scripts have to live on C:
Whenever I try to put them on another mapped drive on the work servers they automatically become read only.
If I do a save as to my downloads folder they become read access, save to a P:\ or T: and they switch to read only?

I store all my scripts on a network drive and they don’t become read-only. You should check with your IT that you have the correct privileges for the drive/folder in question and if that is the case please create an issue on GitHub:

hi andreas,

thanks for your response, I spent some time with IT testing before I posted, its all full access. As far as they can see there should be no different between our revit files and our dynamo files which are stored in the exact same job folder. looks to be a bug or a setup issue , will follow up on GitHub, after some further testing with IT based on your response.

I am on version 1.1 as trying to retain some 2015 functionality. might test on newer platforms

@bklimczakDM
Just adding to @Andreas_Dieckmann there are two types of permission a. Shared b. NTFS on Windows 7. Its common that your network drives are shared folders and maybe the permission is not same or level or access was not given to user groups your username belongs to. Even your NTFS permision looks good (full access) it will not give you access if your shared access is read only. All my dyn, dyf and graphs are on the network for revit 2015 and 2016. They all fine and editable, never once read only.

1 Like

appreciate the help, thanks a lot, will pass onto our IT

@bklimczakDM , did you find a solution to this? I’m currently dealing with the exact same issue…

not yet, stuck between IT and autodesk.
ive taken this as an opportunity to develop scripts on my C:\ and use our project drives (T:) as read only (me) approved and sanctioned BIM scripts

its not a terrible outcome for us here but would like to get to the bottom of it
will post here if and when we resolve it

our IT has checked every single setting, their conclusion is that its a dynamo thing
I am using version 1.1 haven’t had a chance to upgrade and test that.

Thanks for the info! I’m experiencing the issue in 1.2.1.

I was kind of thinking the same thing yesterday after letting it sink in, that its not a terrible thing that these files are read only in a master library type of network location, but its just a hassle to have to copy them around to be able to make modifications from an admin point of view.

I look forward to hearing the solution!

1.3 having the same issue. Although I like my scripts to be read only on the network. This way I can change and update as required when needed.

noticed an issue with relative and absolute pathing for revit linking as our k:\ is actually a pseudonym for //networkdrive/jobs/

so maybe thats a factor, when i have time i will play with it, in the meantime we just wrote a batch script that copies all the files
just change the k: location to whatever your K: path is for your dynamo folder

looks like this
del /s /q “C:\Users%username%\AppData\Roaming\Dynamo\Dynamo Revit\2.0\definitions*”
xcopy /e /s /h /y “K:\2 Library\DM_Autodesk Revit\2020\Dynamo\Dynamo Custom Node” “C:\Users%username%\AppData\Roaming\Dynamo\Dynamo Revit\2.0\definitions”
del /s /q “C:\Users%username%\AppData\Roaming\Dynamo\Dynamo Revit\2.3\definitions*”
xcopy /e /s /h /y “K:\2 Library\DM_Autodesk Revit\2020\Dynamo\Dynamo Custom Node” “C:\Users%username%\AppData\Roaming\Dynamo\Dynamo Revit\2.3\definitions”
del /s /q “C:\Users%username%\AppData\Roaming\Dynamo\Dynamo Revit\2.0\packages*”
xcopy /e /s /h /y “K:\2 Library\DM_Autodesk Revit\2020\Dynamo\Dynamo Packages\Packages 2.30” “C:\Users%username%\AppData\Roaming\Dynamo\Dynamo Revit\2.0\packages”
del /s /q “C:\Users%username%\AppData\Roaming\Dynamo\Dynamo Revit\2.3\packages*”
xcopy /e /s /h /y “K:\2 Library\DM_Autodesk Revit\2020\Dynamo\Dynamo Packages\Packages 2.30” “C:\Users%username%\AppData\Roaming\Dynamo\Dynamo Revit\2.3\packages”