Dynamo Python 2/3 Error with Data-Shapes

Hey everyone,

currently i am trying to get the data-shapes package working on my Dynamo. Although it is labeled as CPython3 in the Packagedetails, i still get this error, as soon as i use any of the data-shapes codeblocks:

grafik

I already tried installing the IronPython2.7 Package by Dynamo as proposed in this thread:

At this point, i dont know what to do anymore. I think the data-shapes should already be up to date and even if it wasn’t I installed the compatability package for Python 2 aswell. Any advice or ideas what it could be?

Much appreciated!

Hi @Tjalf.Thaele ,

If you have the IronPython2.7 Package installed you can ignore this message.

1 Like

Oh, problem is: as soon as i open one of the files which contain any of the data-shapes package it breaks the file. All the codeblocks are overlapping in one spot in the center and it doesnt run at all.

That’s because you probably have a Revit Add-on installed which conflicts with Dynamo. Uninstall those and restart your CPU.

1 Like

I just did a fresh installation of Revit and entirely deleted the old one - still the same problem. I scouted all Addins folders for remnants but it looks clean to me. Any other ideas?

That’s the only reason I would know of. Perhaps @jacob.small knows more or has some advice.

Post a journal and a Dynamo log so we can see some of what is going on. Otherwise we are attempting to blindly guide you to the nearest taco stand (yes it is lunch time here) without any clue where you’re starting from.

2 Likes

Enjoy lunch then! I hope the taco does it’s job!
I just did some more testing and when I remove the data-shapes package it works as intended, but for what i have to do i am heavily relying on it, so i’d rather not go without :confused:

Logfile:
dynamoLog_fd205a7b-d44c-4f97-866a-3e3e7d620aa3.txt (10.7 KB)

Journal:
journal.0027.txt (172.8 KB)

Thank you for your help.

According to the log-file it seems like you have multiple definitions for a "SunPathDirection’ node which are conflicting with eachother. What packages are you using, perhaps they are conflicting with each other.

I suggest manually deleting Custom Packages folder completely and to only reinstall Data-Shapes to see if that fixes it. (Or move the folder)

That is very akward because I’m not using that node at all nor is it present in my Library to use it. I have no other packages installed except GenerativeDesign and data-shapes.

Does it happen when you create a new dynamo file or only in a specifc .dyn-file?

I just tried, it happens as soon as i use any of the codeblocks provided by the data-shapes package, in any file. As long as i dont use any of the codeblocks provided, but the addon installed, nothing happens.

Could you share a screenshot and .dyn-file?

Sure thing!

So as soon as i put in the MultipleInputForm or any other Codeblock from Data-Shapes it looks like this:

grafik
This is the according file:
Fill_parameters_d-s.dyn (144.2 KB)

While it should look like this wiithout the codeblock from Data-Shapes:

This is the according file:
Fill_parameters_BU.dyn (139.4 KB)

I have not linked the codeblock to any other nodes in this example. Also i keep getting the specific error that the codeblock “MultipleInputForm” is using the old Python version still.

On my end it works just fine. Are you sure you have the correct Python2.7 Package? It’s called ‘DynamoIronPython2.7’ and is version 2.1.0

If that doesnt work: Did you manually delete this folder? (the entire ‘packages’ one)

grafik

These are my versions and the only packages installed. I just deleted the folder again and redownloaded the packages in question again.

Still the same problem is occuring.

grafik

1 Like

It’s a Revit issue, not a Dynamo one. Leave your packages folder with just IronPython and Data-Shapes, and look elsewhere.

Then open the journal and do some searching. Any time you see this line in a journal you can guess you’ll have some issues in Dynamo:

’ 0:< API_ERROR { : Assembly version conflict in some references in *add in name* assembly
'Addin’s module Newtonsoft.Json of version 11.0.0.0 conflicts with same preloaded module of version 12.0.0.0 }

Newtonsoft.Json is what Dynamo uses to read the files; if that assembly breaks or loads in a different way, then Dynamo can’t read everything it needs when opening the file and you get the clustered mess.

Before digging into anything, make sure everything is updated. This includes interacting tools (ie: FormIt), as well as hosts (ie: Revit). I’m seeing you are on 'Branch: RELEASE_2023.0.1` from line 5 of the journal. That indicates you are missing 4 Revit updates. Get those installed as your first step. Then move onto FormIt and other applications which interact with Revit (Navisworks looks to show up in your add-in vendors, but that may be a misnomer from Revit consuming something the Navisworks team wrote). Then see if the issue persists.

3 Likes

Thank both of you so much for your time and effort! The updating of Revit did the trick, i thought because I just got a fresh install today it should be good - but I was wrong! I feel a bit stupid now but i suppose the result is what counts :smiley:

10/10, very helpful and thanks again for your patience! :slight_smile:

2 Likes