Dynamo Core 2.17 Release

forum image

Hello, everyone!

We’re excited to announce our latest release, Dynamo Core 2.17! Check out a quick blurb below:

Dynamo Core 2.17 supercharges your graph authoring workflows with node suggestions powered by machine learning. The release features a new splash screen that surfaces loading status, lets you import settings and log in to your Autodesk account, and more. You’re now able to import graphs into your workspace, and create images from multiple graphs at once. You’ll also find an overhauled documentation browser experience, with improved content organization, example file navigation controls, and a refreshed look and feel. Finally, we’ve added a number of quality-of-life improvements and made a host of bug fixes, which you can read about in detail in the release notes.

Learn more about the release in our blog: Dynamo Core 2.17 Release - Dynamo BIM

When you’re ready to dive in, you can download the release here. Be sure to let us know your feedback!

Previous few release blog posts:

20 Likes

Hi there,
it’s been a long time since I have been around.
lots of nice new stuffs.
two questions:

• Why a sign in in the UI? Is there a $pecific purpose to it?
  • I don’ see the use case for ‘insert’, could you elaborate?

I think the login has been added to allow Dynamo Sandbox to be able to upload updated packages. Whereas previously you had to do this via Dynamo For Revit even if it was a Dynamo Sandbox package.

On the Insert I see this as a avenue of being able to combine two graphs together into one without having to save the current one, Close it, then open the other and select all then click copy. Then close it and re-open the original and then paste in.

1 Like

@Brendan_Cassidy hit the nail on the head mostly! A little elaboration below:

1. Adding sign-in to Dynamo Core allows for package upload and maintenance from any version of Dynamo. This is not just Sandbox, but also opens up the door to do this in FormIt, Robot Structural Analysis and Alias.

Beyond allowing for package control in Sandbox, this also allows us to start offering connections to other things that require sign-in, such as Autodesk Docs / BIM 360, or Autodesk Platform Services. You can think of this as broadening the world of Dynamo. The future state of Dynamo as a Service will require log-in if for naught else than security reasons alone.

2. The Insert graph into graph feature allows you to merge graphs. You can think of this in a few ones; one being that you can help “helper” graphs or templates that you can merge it any any time, rather than just opening and doing a save as, or for our intended use-case of allowing Dynamo Dictionary content (Sample graphs of each node) to be dragged into the workspace from the Documentation Browser without replacing what you are building - shipping with 2.18 (The next release) :nerd_face:

4 Likes

I am very eager to look at the treatment of this specific point. The more I dug into python, the more I felt incomfortable telling people to use custom nodes from all over the place.

1 Like

FWIW I made a video on the insert graph feature and I am pretty excited about it. I see it kind of as “Dynamo Snippets”. Loading Graphs in Graphs with Dynamo 2.17 - YouTube

7 Likes

Will there be a time when new Dynamo releases like this one, will be updated for Revit through Autodesk Desktop App ? Maybe I am the minority here, but I use Dynamo exclusively with Revit. For now I have to wait till March/April to get this update.

@atis.sed historically Dynamo was this way, with a set of pro’s and con’s, and now we are “baked in” with an alternate set of pro’s and con’s.

Longer term the answer is very much yes - we want you to be able to be on the latest version of Dynamo as soon as we release :slight_smile: This means work on out-of-process Dynamo and/or Dynamo as a Service as a major limitation historically has been that Dynamo in Revit is in-process.

The reason why we want to go this route is that means any user of Dynamo, irrespective of host application (Revit, Civil 3D etc.) will be on the same version and it enables us to better control compatibility issues, dependency issues and versioning.

2 Likes

Great, hoping for progress in that direction!
Out of curiosity- what was the con’s of updating Dynamo through Desktop App?

@atis.sed no con’s for the individual user as it was a closed ecosystem, but huge issues for collaboration with Dynamo (Mostly hit with larger offices) around ensuring users are on the same version, and this matrix had to be across multiple Revit versions also.

So Revit 2017, 2018, 2019 vs. Dynamo 1.3.4, 2.0, 2.1 etc.

Graphs being built in newer versions had content (Such as nodes) that didn’t exist in older versions and in the switch from 1.3.4 → 2.0 graph upgrade was required.

Essentially a complete lack of standardization in-office and across joint-ventures given control was in the individuals hands.