Dynamo 2.15 for Civil 3D 2023 issues

After updating Civil 3D 2023, also Dynamo has updated to 2.15. I have several issues now with graphs I’ve created in 2.13.

Laces wander somewhere without visual connection:

The nodes that are connected through these laces become connected again on selecting the node. It is a visual thing, not a problem, but it is weird.

The Code Block has issues, even while it is full of code, it seems empty and the output ports dangle in open space:

A newly created Code Block does not have this issue, but I can’t reach the code inside this Code Block anymore.

Output of nodes is strange, this node should show a list of PolyCurves (as it did in 2.13), but now:

There is no preview in Dynamo though the PolyCurves are correctly converted to Polylines in Civil 3D.

Creating a new graph and build it with these exact nodes result in a working graph. But I can’t use any graph created in 2.13. It is not the first time that an update breaks with previous versions :- :confused:

But why!?

1 Like

Instant update: saving the graph and reopen it, seem to work.

But still…

Does this reproduce with other graphs?

I believe the “stackValue preview” error is a known issue and should be fixed here - 2.15.2.

1 Like

Yes, mind the laces and the empty Code Block:

A bit deeper testing, I get a dialog when I open a graph. A message is shown that the installed Civil3DToolkit version differs from the one that is used in the graph. When I close the dialog without further action, I get these laces and empty Code Blocks issue. Also when I save the graph and reopen it, the laces and Code Block issue is still there (and still the warning about a different version).

When I explicitly check that I want to keep the installed version, save the graph and reopen it, then the graph is fixed.

I don’t think the issue is the Civil3DToolkit. Just tested, with any other package it is the same. If I don’t press the button to keep the current version, save the file and reopen it, the lacing and Code Blocks issues occur. It is weird that I have to reopen the graph before the fix is shown.

Also the message does not show the installed version:

I have to visit the Preferences dialog to find the Package Manager to find out that I have 1.1.32 installed instead of 1.1.30. It would be nice if the next Dynamo version will show that too in the dialog.

Another issue: Even if I don’t do anything in a graph, Dynamo claims that is has unsaved changes and wants to save it. I am not sure if that was always the case but I see it now.

thanks for the repro steps, filed as DYN-5385

2 Likes

Often just running a graph can cause a need to ‘save’, due to the way element binding works, though this may be different in Civil 3D, depending on how you have configured the setup.

Running a graph is not ‘nothing’ :slight_smile:

dyn-unsaved-changes

Can’t reproduce in a new file, so maybe it is in this particular graph. Never mind, not a big issue anyway.

Interesting… Something else marking the graph as ‘dirty’ when you open it. Could be a configuration or something unique top the graph… Certainly not a big issue but I’ll see if I can reproduce it later today all the same.

1 Like

Some new issues found:

I get an exception in the following case:

1. Start Dynamo and keep the home screen open
  2. Switch to another drawing in Civil 3D
  3. Start a new graph in Dynamo, add some nodes that refer to the document and run the graph

I know I shouldn’t do this, but normally Dynamo will show a red warning next to the Run button, now it only shows an orange warning. This error also occurs in earlier versions of Dynamo.

Another bug that only occurs in Dynamo 2.15 and Civil 3D 2023.2, I receive a Fatal Error when closing Civil 3D before Dynamo. In earlier versions Dynamo shows a save message on closing. Now when I close Civil 3D while there are unsaved changes in Dynamo, there is no such question but a Fatal Error instead.

3 Likes

And more.

Installing packages in Civil 3D that are specially for Civil 3D, results in warnings.

The package targets a different host (Civil 3D) than the current host application (also Civil 3D) :thinking:

@Anton_Huizinga that one is under investigation:

3 Likes

Custom Nodes can’t be created anymore. If I start from scratch, I can save the Custom Node to a DYF file, but as soon as the automatic backup process starts, the Custom Node file name is replaced with ‘backup.dyn’ and from that moment it only saves to the backup file.

:expressionless:

@Anton_Huizinga I am trying to reproduce this issue of the broken code blocks / floating connectors when you have conflicting package versions and so far - I cannot reproduce the issue.

Can you provide the graph, and supporting files you were testing and any info on any addins you had installed or still have?
Can you still repro the issue?

Also - what specific 2.15 version of Dynamo were you using here? I tried in 2023 -Dynmao 2.13 and 2023.2. with Dynamo 2.15.

You can simulate this situation by changing the version of a dependency inside the graph, without the need of installing older versions of packages.

Changing the version in the graph:

Result in this:

Just selecting nodes will visually recover the connected laces:

Also accepting the installed version and saving the graph will solve it, after you have opened the graph again.

This is an example file, it contains one C3DToolkit node and three core nodes.

Home.dyn (6.6 KB)

The Code Block too. Should be this:

But changing the version of the dependency result in this:

It is solved when I accept the installed version, save the graph and reopen it.

Home2.dyn (4.0 KB)

1 Like

Hi @Anton_Huizinga thanks for the files.
I can recreate the conflicted package situation, but cannot reproduce the visual artifact.
I have also enabled run preview to match what you are showing, but so far everything seems fine.

I will need more information on what addins you have installed. Have you reproduced this with only a single package installed or do you have multiple?

Can you reproduce this issue in DynamoSandbox?

one thing I notice @Anton_Huizinga is that your screenshots display the Autocad logo - I have started up using Civil3d metric - I am not a regular ACad/C3D user - so I don’t know what to make of that.
Have you started directly in ACAD or modified your installation somehow etc?
Is there a specific way I should be starting up to reproduce your environment?

also, I am in the same versions of Dynamo as you, but I am on C3D 2023.2.1. Is it possible for you to test there?

Here the same:

I only have C3DToolkit, Camber, Arkance Systems Node Library and Monocle installed as packages. I will test with only one package. It does not happen in other Dynamo versions (C3D 2022 or 2021), which are configured the same way as C3D 2023.