Dynamo 2.0 conflict with NBS Plugin

I have just installed Dynamo 2.0 on my workstation - one that currently runs Revit 2016, 2017 & 2018.

When opening Dynamo 2.0, I get 5 very similar warnings, each identifying a different CefSharp component:

While loading assembly CefSharp.Wpf, Version=57.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=40c4b6fc221f4138, Dynamo detected that the dependency CefSharp.Core, Version=57.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=40c4b6fc221f4138 was already loaded with an incompatiable version. It is likely that another Revit Addin has loaded this assembly, please try uninstalling other Addins, and starting Dynamo again. Dynamo may be unstable in this state.
It is likely one of the following assemblies loaded the incompatible version:
RevitPlugin, BusinessLogic, BusinessLogic, BusinessLogic, CefSharp.Core, Revit2017, Revit2017, CefSharp.WinForms, CefSharp.WinForms

It does open but I donā€™t have access to the library to the left hand side (itā€™s there but empty).

CefSharp and BusinessLogic come with the NBS plugin (a UK specification tool). Uninstalling that plugin does work but itā€™s not something I can do - itā€™s required for use on live projects.

Just flagging here as there is a solution ā€¦ just not one I can implement.

1 Like

Plugins utilizing libraries which conflict with updated versions of AutoDesk products is a common issue. Please contact the plugin manufacturer and let them know that it is broken and needs an update.

Hi Jacob.

Iā€™m not sure ā€˜brokenā€™ is the right term for the NBS Plugin in the sense that it still operates itself with its own library. Nonetheless, I think I understand what you mean and Iā€™ll certainly report the conflict to them.

Thanks for the prompt response!

@jacob.small donā€™t you think itā€™s an ā€œAutodeskā€ issue, not EVERY person/company that ever wrote a plugin for Revit? Autodesk allowing 3rd party plug-ins should consider the possibility that there might be more than one plug-in out there that will use the same library, and it just might happen that they might use different versions of it. They should consider methods for isolating the scopes of these 3rd party applications, rather than forcing tens, or hundreds of developers to all of a sudden magically coordinate between each other, Autodesk should provide mechanism for Revit to manage these scopes automatically. Telling people that their plug-in is the issue is the kind of cop out move that one can expect from Autodesk, but please at least donā€™t try to make people falsely believe that itā€™s their fault.

10 Likes

there are indeed technologies in .net for this type of isolation. The overhead is large for both the host and the addin developer (usually) Though In the case of cefSharp it has unmanaged dependencies that no .net system will help isolate.

I do not know of a mechanism to avoid conflicts between various versions of unmanaged cefSharp dependencies besides loading this type of dependency in a separate process.

1 Like

also note that revit started bundling cefSharp as a shared component for this reason so various addin developers can count on it being present and use that version.

1 Like

So it seems that, unless/until NBS re-issue their Plugin using newer versions of these libraries, Iā€™ll continue to experience this conflict?

As a hacky solution ā€¦ do you think itā€™s possible that dragging the CefSharp dll files from the Dynamo\Dynamo Core\2 folder into the location the NBS plugin uses would resolve the issue? I prefer not to mess around with this but I also canā€™t do without the Plugin.

(Needless to say, Iā€™m not asking you to tell me there definitely wonā€™t be a problem, only if you know that there definitely will be ā€¦)

@Konrad_K_Sobon I do agree that itā€™s an ā€œAutodeskā€ issue in the larger context that itā€™s a problem for our customers and therefor us. However, the short term the fix will have to come from the plugin developer. This is a fact of life for anyone who builds on top of existing software. Itā€™s even worse for people who have to deal with importing and the like.

For the unaware, a library of functions can be open in one version (see Avalon edit issues circa 2017 launch). Autodesk (and the specifically the Dynamo team) does a better job than most at informing add in developers to coming changes via the Beta program, ADN and the GitHub. And while we really do our best to try and communicate these types of issues, sometimes things get missed. This is a fact of life on any type of project(otherwise there would never be an RFI or change order on a construction project).

This is why I advised @des.hourihane to pass this issue onto the plug-in developer, itā€™s the fastest way to resolution (and will likely be required for the plugin to work long term).

@des.hourihane, can you temporarily disable the plugin to utilize Dynamo scripts in short bursts, or will that never be an option here? Admittedly Iā€™m unaware of what itā€™s intended use is and why it would need to run constantly.

Does 1.3 have the same issue?

Nope.

Sure, but at the same time they are forcing everyone to use the bundled version of the library, risk conflicts, or manage assembly conflicts ourselves. Since Revit comes out with an update like twice a year, sometimes 3 times, while the libraries might be getting updates on daily basis. I have seen Xceed library that comes with Revit and itā€™s from 2013.

I will make a wager with you, that itā€™s not been updated for 2019 release. Xceed has moved quite a bit beyond this version since.

I have no idea what it would take to fix this, but at the same time, it would be nice if Autodesk came out and said, yes, this is an issue, we looked into it, it can/cannot be done for this/that reason. Instead people just push the blame onto 3rd party developers.

Iā€™m not sure. At the same time, I donā€™t believe the Plugin can be ā€˜disabledā€™ short of uninstalling it ā€¦ which is hassle to say the least. Is there another way to individually disable Plugins that I should be aware of?

@Konrad_K_Sobon - totally not trying to ā€˜blameā€™ the 3rd party here. Broken was clearly a poor choice of words - ā€œinforming them of the library conflictā€ would have been more accurate.

1 Like

I believe this can be done by editing your .ini file (which can be automated with Dynamo by launching either Core or Studio). Let me look into the ramifications of this on this end and get back to you.

Itā€™s actually as simple as moving or renaming the .addin file itself. I can give better directions later tonight (I have a few calls I have to be in).

Much appreciated.

I can confirm that removing NBS.bundle folder and contents from the addins folder solves the problem.

1 Like

Thanks Sean.

I am aware that removing the Addin solves the problem. At the same time, itā€™s not a very satisfactory solution given that the offending Addin is the NBS Create Plugin. Iā€™ve notified NBS and Iā€™ve had a certain amount of discussion with Jacob outside of the forum in an effort to get a solution that allows me to continue using both.

1 Like

Thank you. Iā€™d love to hear a bit about the workaround. We have contacted theNBS to see if they are aware of and working on the issue.

2 Likes

Hi Sean.

Not sure there is a ā€˜workaroundā€™ yet. Jacob has suggested a bat file or script that will rename the dll in the NBS package thatā€™s causing the problem. Heā€™s trialled running a Dynamo script outside Revit to disable another Addin. Itā€™s really just automating a renaming/deleting process and I think still requires the user to repair the fix before they engage the NBS Plugin. Not ideal to say the least.

For the time being, my own NBS work is on a 2016 project - where I couldnā€™t use 2.0 in any case so the conflict doesnā€™t arise. It has stopped me experimenting with 2.0 elsewhere which is frustrating.

May I suggest you use the NBS Plugin feedback button to send a comment about this yourself? I donā€™t think itā€™ll do any harm to have them aware that numerous users consider this to be an issue.