Dimensioning Columns to nearest grid

Hi all,

This ended up becoming a tangent from a previous post I had about creating an accurate Column Location Mark. Using R2023.1
Column Location Test_R23.rvt (4.3 MB)
Column DIMS V3.dyn (165.4 KB)

In typical industry fashion, people said what if it’s wrong, a dimension would be better.

The script “mostly” works. It places all the dims however you can’t see them immediately. You have to either nudge the grids or columns. Then an error pops up saying references are no longer parallel, then it shows up with ever dim of how it should have been. I’d watched one of Gavin’s (Aussie Bim Guru) on creating dims and translating them a set distance away. In this script I have to options to translate or not (just to save headache if it doesn’t work).
Anyone have any clue to why the Dims wouldn’t populate? I’ve tried transactions (not super familiar with them) as well as regenerating, no luck. If anyone is able to give advice on the translation that’d be awesome as well. (end goal is to translate in the (vector)direction from the closest grid to the column.
Thanks for any help
KP

1 Like

From what I have experienced, the dimension not showing up in the view is because it’s not truly in plane with the active view. But there could be other reasons also.

Looking at your script, there are some redundant processes, so you could remove those to simplify the script. Like pulling all the grids and columns in the view twice. Only need to do that once really.

I would change the flow of your data processing. First do a vector check between the column reference planes and the grids and group all that are parallel. Then do the distance check between those items in the group. This would reduce the number of grids you would have to check the distances for. You can also use the same boolean results to filter the column references since those are returned in conjunction with the reference planes.

Just a couple of thoughts to help.

2 Likes

did you got any solution for this error ?

Not yet, I haven’t really had time to work on this. But it’s still on my to do list.

may you get solution here, make sure to check…:upside_down_face:

1 Like

I’ll double check and compare, originally I was doing something similar to this, but currently I’m having the script sort the 2 nearest grids to the column. this way if you have rotated portions of a project the user doesn’t have to go thru it each time. But if I get time this week I’ll look back into this. Thanks for looking out!

1 Like