Grid dimension on a specific project shows wrong dimension-multiple grid dimension instead of 1 multispan dimension

Hi guys,

First time to ask questions here because it seems I am hopeless to find a solution no matter how hard I search.

I have this dynamo script to dimension grid line that seems perfect for many projects but there is 1 project that it just don’t work as intended (all dynamo scripts that involve grid have same problem) On most project it work perfectly fine -1 liner dimension showing distance from one grid to another. for example (AB,BC,CD,DE) But on this specific revit data dimension seems off because it shows multilevel dimension-1 dimension each from 1st grid to each and every remaining grid for example (AB, AC, AD, AE). I already tried deleting the gridline and create new but still it don’t work as expected.

Is there a general setting in revit for gridline? I hope this problem for specific revit data can be fixed and the dynamo that involves grid and hope it can be take effect perfecty in this specific project as it performs on other revit data. Transferring of file is not an option since there are already many data inside and it is also used in other project.

Helpful ideas and inputs are very much appreciated. Thankyou in advance.

Hard to say with no script available. Generally Revit API to make a dimension takes a reference line for the string position and a list of references. The script should ideally be grouping the references together, but the diagram above seems to be a scenario where it has done them using a 1 on many approach. It seems intentional as it wouldn’t know how to space those naturally I think - chances are it’s been built into the script by the author, best contact them in your organization to unravel the logic they applied.

Thankyou very much for your reply and I also want to thankyou for creating a videos that helps me a lot on my dynamo journey. The script actually is very simple. and it works perfectly in other project. just this one project seems to have a problem. So I am thinking the problem is not in the dynamo script but in the revit data. But is it possible that Grid setting is different in this specific project?

By the way I attached the dynamo script that I have used on the image sent on the original post. Those 2 example are both product of the same dynamo script. but I don’t know why their results are different.

Thankyou very much and it is such a pleasure that I am able to interact with BIMGuru :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Grid Auto-Dimension.dyn (53.7 KB)

1 Like

Nevermind, it’s a Revit thing… script is fine.

Glad the content has been helpful!

2 Likes

WOOWWW!
Finally the problem is fixed!
Thankyou very much!
Didn’t know that revit has plenty of option for the dimension.
I thought the problem is in the setting of grid,
but it is in the setting of dimension, Why I did not think about that possibility :sweat_smile:

Thankyou again and please continue being an angel of revit and dynamo people :innocent:

2 Likes

@GavinCrump Good day, I have another problem. I hope you could help me again please please, maybe its another not on the dynamo problem but revit is acting weird not behaving thesame on every revit data so I guess its the revit setting that have problem but I dont seem to have positive outcome on my investigation. thankyou very much and Happy new year.

You’re going to need to provide much more specific information to get any assistance there…