Column to column dimensions

Hello, I am pretty new to dynamo, I have gotten a good handle on it. But still have some issues with the nodes and how they go together.

I am trying to create a script that will allow me to select multiple columns and to create a dimension going from column to column. All of the columns that get selected are already aligned, and I have seen the column to grids scripts. I just have some projects that include a lot of aligned columns with no grids.

Here is what I have so far. I’ve tried dimensions by references and by elements. Neither seem to work for me. Any advice would be appreciated!

Hello @shayne.hoffman314 and welcome to the forum, it doesnt work with genius loci nodes?

2 Likes

No, every time I think I have it, no dimensions strings are created. I just made the first script you made, I am not getting any errors back, yet nothing in Revit still.

I am trying to make the second script, but what is the select model elements node with the single element selecting? If its a column, I cant get it to work with that element.curves node…

Hi does it work i f yo feed in the dimension element type ?

Thanks for the responses!

I had the element name to be sure I was pulling the right dimension type. But I just tried it without, and still no dimensions in Revit.

I finally was able to get dimensions to work, for some reason the dimension type was causing a null in the dimension by references node. Dont know why this was an issue for me, just glad I have a work around

Hey, I just caught into your thread and im trying to achieve a column to column dimension from a series of structural columns to centres in elevation. I’m new to Dynamo, any chance you could send an image to the working node layout?

Im using 2020, atm can could check if it works on that?

thanks

This is what I have com up with for my dynamo script, mind you I made this for 2022-24. I would have to go through and redo the script to see how it works with 2020, which unfortunately I don’t have too much time for right now.

Past 2022 I am starting to get an issue with the offset node for the line going to the dimension node. But I hope this will give you some guidance in trying to make it for 2020.

here are the packages I have installed for this as well.

Apologies for the late reply, You and me both haha!

Thanks for this, I’ll give it a go and show you the results but do let me know if you were about to succeed in making it work for 2020

By the way, have you checked to see if this was functional in an elevation view?

@shayne.hoffman314 I have attempted your dynamo node layout in 2022 as a test, (due to a few nodes being unavailable)

when I ran the script the UI appeared which was nice, but I wasn’t able to take any other actions after I had selected my columns

preventing me from creating the Dimensions

any chance you know why that is?

Hi @New-to-Dynamo i guess you just need a dimensiontype

@sovitek
where would this go?
and how would I know which type to use?

Try as here, if you are in older version then use "element type-all element of type…instead of element class

Alright i’ll let you know how it goes

1 Like

what packages are you using by the ways I could not find these

Its out of the box nodes, but if you are in older version than 23 i guess, you will need just use element types, all element of type instead of class…you can find the nodes in library under revit ----- selection…

1 Like

@sovitek
thanks for clarifying, am I supposed to attach this here?

Hi i mean something here

1 Like

thanks, I have adjusted.

No luck I’m afraid, the UI still does not allow the script to be run as it prevents me from pressing the button after I have selected the elements
what can I do to improve?