Creating an air terminal schedule to include Space Names

Hi All,
This is my first post so apologies if it’s been covered millions of times already.

I’m trying to generate an air terminal schedule to include room/space names to export to excel. The idea being to then apply air terminal references in Excel and push those references back into a Grille_Ref parameter.

I’ve tested 2 different custom nodes to find the air terminals within a space. See image.

With the Elements in Space node (Archi-lab) the information is correct however, the list is structured so it spreads the information across a single row (i.e. 0,1,2,3,4.) in excel.

The Tool.GetSurroundingElements node (SteamNodes) structures the list pretty much how I want it to i.e.:
However, this node has actually picked up that one of the air terminals sits in 2 spaces even though I’ve set the tolerance to 0.

Can anyone help with either of these nodes to get the correct information into the structure I need or point me in the direction of a post which covers this topic.

Many thanks

Hi @c.fitzer

You can try using an archilab node:

Or FamilyInstance.Space node from Rhythm package.

1 Like

Maybe I’m not understanding your process, but you can already schedule a terminal’s room or space.

2 Likes

Hi Nick, I’m fairly new to both Revit and Dynamo. I have created a schedule in Revit but can’t seem to export it to Excel and more than likely not in the format I want.
The reason we want to export it to excel is that we have a standard format for an air terminal schedule within our specifications and I want to be able to automatically populate that schedule without copying and pasting information which presents risk and is not an efficient use of time. Also, applying grille references for each terminal will be a quicker process in Excel rather than 1 by 1 in Revit.
I really am just going through a learning process more than anything though so any tips, pointers or general advice is more than welcome.

You can export any open schedule to delimited TXT file to be opened in Excel.

You can also include Room or Space parameters.

Most importantly, I would HIGHLY recommend getting familiar with Revit before trying to do too much in Dynamo. Dynamo can be a good way to learn some of the intricacies of Revit, but it will not replace general knowledge of the application. It’s hard to automate a system that you don’t know much about. Good luck!

1 Like

Thanks Nick.

I have already generated a schedule with space name field and exported to a txt / csv file. But that’s where the issue lies. You then have information in disparate formats (.rvt, .txt. .xlsx) with no means of connectivity. Essentially, I’m trying to kill 2 birds with one stone; generating a grille schedule from Revit straight into excel that’s in our standard specification format, then populating that with grille references that can be pushed back into Revit from a single source.

I completely agree with you about getting familiar with Revit first. What we have been doing is working in Revit purely from a drawing production and coordination perspective and finding out where we have inefficiencies and where there are time consuming manual input tasks. We’re now just trying to improve efficiency with some basic (or so we thought) Dynamo graphs. nothing too complicated yet.

I gotcha. This is a pretty common “first graph” so you might want to do some more forum searching. The main idea here is that you include the ElementId in your import/export Excel file. This is the easiest way to tie back to the elements in your project. Then you’re left with getting the correct information in the correct format to match your standard Excel schedule. Getting the data from Revit shouldn’t be too hard, but managing a bunch of lists is where things tend to get tricky.

I realize I’m kinda getting away from your original question though… Air Terminals happen to be one of the categories that Revit already tracks location for, so you should be able to use either of the FamilyInstance.Room or FamilyInstance.Space nodes to get that information quite easily.

Hope that helps.