Create Walls,Floors etc. Script

Hi,

I am about to begin a project that involves creating a high number amount of wall types. I was just wondering if anyone has ever come up with a script that could speed up the process of creating wall types with different layers of materials etc. Maybe this a lot to ask for and cannot be achieved but I would just thought i’d ask the forum as I am currently brainstorming. Thanks.

Ryan

can you show us what you have now?

Hey,

This is an interesting question… I don’t believe there are nodes for doing it and it seems to require a bit of setup…

From this post’s link it seems that you can’t just create walls, and you cannot even add layers to walls… So all you can do is start with a template which contains a number of walls with different wall layer quantities…

Then you can maybe start to duplicate, rename and edit the properties of those pre made walls?

Good luck :slight_smile:

Mark

1 Like

Hi Mark,

It is true that it is not possible to create a system family starting from scratch but you can add layers and there is already a node : Create Compound System FamilyType in Genius Loci package.

As you point out, the method is to duplicate a type and edit it (add layers, materials, functions, thickness, limits of Core layers)
This node works with compound family Types : Walls, Ceiling, Roof and Floor.

Create%20monolayer%20system%20familytypes
Create%20multimayer%20system%20familytypes

7 Likes

Great work Alban :slight_smile:

1 Like

Why does the layer (NumberOfShellLayersExterior, Interior) not work?

Hi,

You have defined a wall with 4 layers but you provide only 1 thickness, 1 function and 1 material so it can’t work.

See below :

Create%20wall%20type%202

1 Like

hi alban! thanks for posting this, that’s just what i was looking for! Can you please help me figure out the method to duplicate a type in dynamo? thank you!

Hi Gian Marco,

To dupllicate a family type, use one of the following nodes :

hi Alban

Sorry to bump this thread but I think this question is best kept here rather than starting afresh.

I’m trying to use this node to create multiple wall types. I have all the data as lists but I can’t figure out how to set the levels in the node to get all the walls created. It works fine with a single list for each input but not nested lists - can you, or anyone else who may be reading this thread point me in the right direction? I feel I should know how to do this but I just keep drawing a blank!

Hi Keith,

Set the longest lacing on the Create FamilyType node.

Awesome thanks! I’ve been messing around with Levels all afternoon can’t believe I forgot to change that!

Hello Keith, I’m also doing a similar script to create multiple system families with multiple layers, but I’m a beginner so the lists and levels topic is still difficult for me. How did you manage to get the material grouped under lists as shown in your image?

Kind regards,
Jose

This script was using Excel data to build wall types based on British Gypsum type data so it was all being derived from there. I would suggest if you have a specific issue you start a new thread and the awesome folks that frequent here will help you out. Be as descriptive as you can and be sure to post your latest attempts to solve you issue as that makes providing help much easier.

I appear to be having a similar issue to @ Keith_Wilkinson1.

Although I have set lacing to longest I am still unable to create multiple walls.

Hi,

Your layerfunction input doesn’t match the other inputs.
Add a listlevel @L1 on the LayerFunction input or cycle the layerfunction strings by 4.

2 Likes

You are a star !!
Thank you !!

it seams no matter which wall type i put into the “get CompoindStructureLayuers”, it always just retunes null values :confused:

Hi,
Your post isn’t related to the original subject. In addition, you didn’t add any picture of your graph. It’s best to start a new topic.

If you’re using Revit 2023 or 2024, the DynamoIronPython2.7 package is required to use packages written in Python.

Hi!

That was an impressively fast reaction!

It kinda is related to the post, i try to make wall types procedurally. Actually I just need different widths but this approach seams to be to most promising!

I do have the ironpython 2.7 package installed, but 3.0 instead of the requested 2.4
so i try to downgrade to that.

I did not include a screenshot because its so minimal i did not think it would be nescessary

I am taking it step by step, trying to understand whats happening, but sadly i am rather stuck on the first step.
Good chance its some incompatibility with the ironpython package. I will continue to try the downgrade

EDIT:
and indeed, 2.7 version 3.0 was the issue. with 2.7 2.4 it works

thank you for this super fast response.
I dont quite now why i just now got the notification that i need that requirement.