Create point by angle from direction of other points

This there a method similar to vector between two point where an angle (0,90,180,270) deg. Can be provided, much like a survey traverse, to set points.

Let say I am occupying point 4 with the vector or direction from point 4 to POB, then I’d like to set points temp1, at -90 deg. x dist, and point temp2, at 90 deg with some dist. Same idea for point temp 3, same vector point 4 with direction to POB with 360 deg angle and a dist. Can that be done?

Thank you
John

Take a standard vector (say the X or Y axis), and rotate it by the desired angle (I assume you want to rotate about the Z axis), and then scale the vector by the distance.

This should be two nodes, generated by a list of angles in the order you want to rotate, and a list of distances to scale by. Then use a mass addition method on the vector objects, that take V1, then add V2 to V1, then add V3 to the sum of V2 and V1, then add Vn to the sum of [V1…Vn-1], until all vectors are sequential math. Last use a Geometry.Translate node to move the starting point into place.

Hi @jcoon
You can not use negative value wiith Curve.PointAtSegmentLength.
You can with Curve.PointAtParameter, and you can get the parameter with Curve.ParameterAtPoint

1 Like

Thanks Francois

Jacob,

Thank you for the description. I am watching the videos you suggested, but I couldn’t not try some of this until I’m finished.

I work in the aviation design industry. This is promising to replace and add to what vb net apps I’ve used for years. my concern is, how much work ( or how big the graph, will it be readable ) to generate, maybe as many as thousands points, with connected lines, polylines, based on the controlling centerline. with vb its easy to add or run additional code blocks. this looks like it could be challenging keeping that many object controlled visually. in your option, would it be better ( I don’t know Python) you look at python to possible generate the points and have dynamo connect the lines and polylines? it would be helpfull if I could some how reuse some of the steps from vb, but if not, the dynamic, lets see what this scenario looks like is a whole new level of what if visual design.

In the end this could be very powerful, it’s getting there, that’s going to hurt. I see this as a go big of stay with what you have. most firms that concentrate on design work that Autodesk doesn’t have applications for have developed there own to automate what tasks they can. this will certainly help.

Thanks for the help.
John

2 Likes