Plane by 4 points

Hi everyone,
I have some points (3 coordinates) and I need to create a plane which is passing through them. Is there a Dynamo node usefull for it?

Hope to here from you soon, thanks.

https://dictionary.dynamobim.com/#/Geometry/Plane/Create/ByBestFitThroughPoints

Plane.ByBestFitThroughPoints will do the trick.

1 Like

Ok but in my case I am working with a list of point, is it possible to do anyway?

Thanks!

I would say you have to group the points that you want to create a plane in sublists and pass them through a node that finds plane by best fit of the group of points

1 Like
  1. You need at least 3 points to make this work, and they can’t be colinear. The reason for both should be obvious after some thought.

2. You need to group the sets of points which you want to make into a plane individually as sub-lists.

Above you could take either set of four points and into a List.Create, and then use a Plane.ByBestFitThroughPoints node to make two planes one for each set of four.

1 Like

Okay good, I tried with List.Create but, in the case of lateral surface, the plane is not tangent to the 4 points and seems to big very small. Why?

Thank you in advice!

Scale of the plane is constant - try placing a rectangle by widths and coordinate system to visualize it better.