Create Navisworks Model directly from dynamo geometry

Is there a way to export dynamo geometry to a Navisworks file?

Hi @Pierre_Roberson,

Not sure if there is a way yet to go straight from dynamo geometry to Navis, but you could use direct shape to build in revit temporarily and then export that geometry to Navis via dynamo in one hit which is almost the same.

Not sure if that’s exactly what you want?

Cheers,
Dan

Yeah, I was thinking of going that route. I don’t want the geometry to remain in Revit though, so I would need to delete the geometry after it is created. Is it possible to create geometry, export a Navisworks file, and then delete the geometry?

If you’re only interested in geometry, you could join your solids and export to .sat from dynamo. Navisworks opens Sat. You can export to .Nwd from Navisworks :

2 Likes

I like that solution, except that I need unique names attached to each geometry. When I tried this option, I got generic names (Entity1, Entity2, etc).

Is there a way to force naming into the .sat file?

You could try to export each geometry as a unique file with the file name matching the unique name you want to use.

Could be a lot of SAT files to manage though…

1 Like

Thanks @jacob.small, if I wasn’t working with more than 10k potential geometries your suggestion would work.

Hi Pierre,

Depending on how complex your geometry is, I think that IFC may be the best solution for you but at the moment I can’t find any package so you would need to build your own nodes.

GeometryGym has some C# classes to generate and parse OpenBIM IFC files https://github.com/jmirtsch/GeometryGymIFC

The example below creates 1 beam. I’m not an expert of C# so it’s more to give you an idea than something to follow.
IFC Exporter.dyn (12.1 KB)

3 Likes

Thanks @Giovanni_Brogiolo, I like this solution as it completely bypasses the need to create Revit geometry - which is what slows the script significantly. Unfortunately, it seems a bit complicated for my capabilities. Is there a way to (more simply) convert a DS solid to an IFC solid? I will do a little research.

Hi Pierre,

How about exporting the geometry to a Rhino file (using Rhynamo) and then either trying to create the IFC from there or importing the Rhino file directly in Navisworks?

IFCRhynamo.dyn (16.9 KB)

2 Likes

This is the best solution so far, but unfortunately when I use the Rhynamo node Revit crashes.
I currently have 342 polysurfaces. When I convert a smaller number of polysurfaces, it works.

I am going to start a new topic around the issue of crashing, Thanks @Giovanni_Brogiolo

Yes let’s see if someone comes up with a solution.

As a benchmark, to create 10000 cubes it took almost 1 hour and the rhino file is 220mb large but it did not crash. Maybe your geometry is more complex than a set of boxes. If you want/can share your file I can give it a go.

I am running Dynamo as Sandbox outside Revit.

Here are the files I am working with. Maybe you will have some luck. I will also post in the other topic. I don’t have the Rhynamo nodes in the script.

Collision Detection3.dyn (526.7 KB)
BareFile.rvt (1.3 MB)

1 Like

@Giovanni_Brogiolo - I started a new thread here if you are following this issue:

Thanks for all of your help and input.

1 Like