Connecting Civil 3D to Revit

Hi there,
At the moment i am working on a Dynamo script that would allow to bring Civil 3D alignment points into Revit and then attach a adaptive profile to these points to create geometry (bridge superstructure). The points from Civil 3D are the right and left edges and axis of asphalt, exported from Civil 3D using Transportation Extension. After making some correction make the coordinates smaller, the result can be seen in excel file .
Points.xlsx (69.3 KB)
This road allignment is ment to be the most extreme case, as it has a transversal slope to both sides of the axis and in parts that changes to one side. Also the layout widens on one side.
After that I create the profile with 3 adaptive points, that would attach to the points from Civil 3D.
Family1.rfa (768 KB)
Next is the creation of the script in Dyanmo that reads the excel and places points and attaches the profile to these points.
Alignment no Civil 3D.dyn (714.5 KB)
For some reason, parts of these profiles are placed correctly (vertical), but after a certain point these profiles start to twist and tur for no apparent reason:
-as can be seen in the picture below, the profile becomes thicker creating sort of a jump.

-also one side of the profile starts to twist (one side of it is not completely vertical)

From Points2.rfa (1.1 MB)
Ultimately what i would like is for the profile to be placed completely vertically, without any twists and turns so that the geometry can be created correctly.
Maybe someone here can clarify what is the issue, as I have ran out of ideas what to do. Maybe there is another way to achieve this?

Hi, There is an alternative solution to use civilconnection package if you want to transfer shapes to get geometry in Revit.

Or, Create an adaptive family and place it through feature lines as an other solution.

also, please share the file of name ( From Points2.rfa) in elder version to manage me to see it.

2 Likes

Hi Ahmed,
Thanks for the reply.
I have seen some information about the civilconnection package, just had no time to try it out.
As for the Revit family in an older version - I can recreate it as a 2020 version. Will this be ok?

yeah go ahead.

Here is the file.
From Points2.rfa (1.1 MB)
For some reason it appears as the profiles have placed themselves as needed (completely vertical and without any twists) in Revit 2020. I think I should go over the profile that was made in Revit 2022 and look through all the constrains - maybe there is the issue.

I opened it in Revit 2021 and it’s O.K. also , I suggest you to add another adaptive point to your profile in lower center line ( 4 adaptive points profile ) to control your profile and constrain it to the required plane without any twisting.

Anyway i advise you to go with civilconnection for any upcoming projects it is offering you full flexibility to deal with the required geometry.

2 Likes

Hi @ugis ,

How was this resolve on your end?

Were you able to create an offset alignment from dynamo script.
Perpendicularly with the same elevation?

Thank you very much in advance your reply.

Cheers,
Rod